Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Magnet fishing

Article about: Hi Fancied trying out some magnet fishing but where to start??? Lots of battle sites here in Eastern Germany but also lots of rivers and lakes in the middle of these sites. Any suggestions o

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I agree that anyone detecting on battlefields or former military bases are stupid, but munitions have a habit of turning up almost anywhere. A late friend of mine almost killed himself by trying to burn off residual explosive in a WW1 spigot mortar, he was lucky the resulting explosion did not kill him. I would never tamper with munitions, but the ones who usually get killed or maimed are the totally ignorant.
    I tend to disagree....
    The ones generally maimed or killed are thankfully the ones that overrate themselves and manipulate Things they don't understand enough about. The Common Ignoramous is clever enough to know that he doesn't know Jack and runs screaming if it's dangerous or not.

Quote by vegetius View Post

If you wish proof of the stupidity of these people then, Trio admit possession of mustard gas at old RAF base | Shropshire Star

R
    Considering the amount of genuinly dangerous finds in recent Times...
    I'm wondering how long the stupidity will continue before the perpetrators realise that the removal and disposal of some of these items is potentially more Dangerous than the act of fishing them up. A couple of idiots with mustard shells is comparatively harmless in comparison to the WW2 emergency disposal of German chemical weapons in Continental Europe... Both Tabun and Phosgene have been pulled out of waterways in recent months

Bit unfair to imply we are all stupid, some are. Like the morons who left a 1000lb bomb for us to come across then get the brilliant Sedal guys to defuse. We don't all go looking for the bang stuff. Personally I'm not that keen that I need to vapourise myself or others digging it.

The trouble is, if you are searching... you don't know what you might turn up until you dig it up.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Bit unfair to imply we are all stupid, some are. Like the morons who left a 1000lb bomb for us to come across then get the brilliant Sedal guys to defuse. We don't all go looking for the bang stuff. Personally I'm not that keen that I need to vapourise myself or others digging it.
    Wasn't intended as a blanket accusation of stupidity against everyone with a Magnet or MD.
    Simply said: the real morons are the ones that deliberately recover munitions and are arrogant enough to think they know what they're doing when they don't. Then there's those that know what they are doing and just set a bad example with it.
    The ingnorance of the rest cannot be directly related to stupidity. Not knowing is ok. Poking bad things with a Stick anyway would be as the greater majority has already pointed out: moronic

Very true, but give some of us the credit for having the experience to know when to stop digging. You have to be one special kind of Darwin Award nominee to buy a very strong magnet, plop it in a river, lake pull up goodness knows what, let's play rusty Russian roulette! Is it a old agricultural or is it the No 36 with the rust holding the striker together?

Then the bright spark has to pull the very strong magnet off the item? Seriously?

Like i said: poking bad things with a Stick. "Magnets are expensive" and life's apparently just not worth living If you're not going to gamble on it

What a proud man! I do wonder if the idiot realises how big a fool he really is. on finding The first call the police. If for some reason you found a second then stop there! But continuing until you have 19, well If the man had a brain cell it would be lonely. As I said before, this is happening to often and there are too many people who keep escaping from their carers and doing this! The team that attended were not impressed with Einstein, but fortunately the operator was bright enough not to explain it to him fully, (as the moron being thrown in the river often offends)!

R

Quote by vegetius View Post
    What a proud man! I do wonder if the idiot realises how big a fool he really is. on finding The first call the police. If for some reason you found a second then stop there! But continuing until you have 19, well If the man had a brain cell it would be lonely. As I said before, this is happening to often and there are too many people who keep escaping from their carers and doing this! The team that attended were not impressed with Einstein, but fortunately the operator was bright enough not to explain it to him fully, (as the moron being thrown in the river often offends)!

R
    I think most of us in this and related hobbies / fields of study realise the inherent dangers of old, corroded and unpredictable ordnance. However, in my opinion the real worry is that these days, unlike the immediate post-war and National Service period most people have absolutely no clue of the power of explosive ordnance because they have no experience of the subject whatsoever and are fed a steady diet of "action movies" in which even an exploding artillery shell causes no more than a shower of mud and dust!

The real worry to me is that this lemon who had no concept of danger actually put these in a carrier bag and carted them home before asking someone with more than one brain cell what he should do!

It matters not a jot that these turned out to be inert. The point is he had no idea and the altenative outcome does not bear thinking about. Still, in the end he continued to miss the point and was pissed off because he thought he might have made a profit out of them.

Fair enough, he wasn't searching a former battlefield for war relics but that doesn't make his attitude any less worrying when he is more concerned that he has lost "cool stuff" that might have turned a profit when the alternative "could have happened" scenario is so appalling

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast