Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Newbie in town

Article about: Hello all, new boy calling. My name is Tony and I live on Salisbury plain in Wiltshire. As well as a keen modern Military photographer, I have also recently taken up metal detecting. Over th

milima67
    ?

Default Newbie in town

Hello all, new boy calling. My name is Tony and I live on Salisbury plain in Wiltshire. As well as a keen modern Military photographer, I have also recently taken up metal detecting.
    Over the last two weeks I have been digging holes all over a field that seems to be full of bit of metal which I think are posibly from an aircraft. The thing is, I'm getting worried because I have taken some bits home and cleaned them up for research.
    My question is, is it against the law to remove even the smallest bits of a crash site???
    To tell the truth, I never had any nolige of a crash site in the field. The reason I was in there is, there is a Roman Villa in the next field which the farmer wont let us in, but is more than happy for us to dig in the one oppisit.
    I do have some pictures of the few bits I have found, but still trying to find my feet on posting on here.
    Any help would be great.
    Many thanks.
    Tony.

?

Default Re: Newbie in town

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forums. (We will be "neighbours soon, Im moving to Andover all being well!)

Now to the important bit, I dont know about having to report/not being able to remove any bits from a ?crash site, we have plenty of members who will be able to help you with the rules on that one, the important bit is that you have got permission from the land owner to actually be there, (and when we move, I will be more than happy to come and help you check out the area and do some digging!)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

PS: Please feel free to post the pic's. There is a way to do do it without having to use photobucket or external links etc.

milima67
    ?

Hello Ian, welcome to Andover mate. The farmer is more than happy for me to be out on the field. He is an old freind of the family, but still wont let me on the Villa site. (BOO) maybe one day.
    Tony.

?

Quote by milima67 View Post
    Hello Ian, welcome to Andover mate. The farmer is more than happy for me to be out on the field. He is an old freind of the family, but still wont let me on the Villa site. (BOO) maybe one day.
    Tony.
    Hi Tony,

Every so often remind him that there may be a hidden Roman/Ancient Briton treasure hoard buried on it somewhere and he would get a share when the British Museum or whoever have decided on its value

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

Hi milma67 and welcome to the forum.

I am afraid that, if it is indeed a crash site you have found, removal of any article from the site or even just uncovering it in the ground is illegal without the written permission of the correct authority. In this case, the correct authority is the ministry of defence.

Ministry of Defence | About Defence | What we do | Personnel | SPVA | Aviation Archaeology

On the plus side, it may not be a aircraft crash site and may be the remains of rockets and such like, given your location. On the down side, there are still undiscovered crash sites in the UK and you may have just found one. You need to do some research before removing any more items.

One other thing, ask the farmer if he has used any locally sourced compost on the field. I have had experience of finding a field full of bits of metal and aluminium foil, only to be told by the farmer that he uses composted council rubbish as a ground improver.........I saw a pile before it was spread and it was full of chopped up bits of metal !

If you need any further help, please don't hesitate to ask.

Steve T

milima67
    ?

Hello Steve and thank you for the heads up. I think in future I will take my camera and snap the finds and then replace them. It is defo a crash site as I have now found a eye witness, funny what you find out when you talk to old people while standing in a field, HEHE.
    I have been informed that the wreckage was removed shortly after the crash, so possibly, what I am finding is scatter.
    I am of to see a local farmer at the weekend who as a boy actully stood and watched as they tryed to free the crew, sadly there was no servivers. The aircraft in question is a Blenheim IV..
    Thanks again for the heads up mate.
    Ian, the farmer has enough money already .

Tony.

milima67
    ?

Maybe someone can help with this plate. The oval shaped one has 1077 and a small stamped disk with 46. the smaller of the pieces has 68887.
    Newbie in townNewbie in townNewbie in town

Many thanks.
    Tony.