Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tips on retrieving Millitaria

Article about: by zwerge BUT....is he the original?...looks like a repro to me. Dunno Pete.....Maybe he's the MKII Red Sea Pedestrian.

Default Re: Tips on retrieving Millitaria

Just how deep Is this pond would be one of my first questions and the second being-would recovering artifacts from it be allowed by the law?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Most interesting. I would suggest the best method would be to hire a pump and drain the pond as much as possible, then get in there and recover by hand. Draining may take quite some time, depending on the size of the pond, but is the only way to recover items safely and with minimal damage. The second best would be to dive down and get the stuff by hand, but if you're not a diver yourself, hiring someone to do it would be costly and difficult given the nature of the stuff down there. If you inform the police you will be excluded from any recovery process and all items found will be destroyed. Remember that a weapon, even if it has been in the ground/water for 70+ years and is rusted solid, is STILL illegal to possess without a 'de-act by other means' certificate. As for the live ammo that may be down there, same applies.

Please do not make the same mistake that injures and kills many people every year. Ordnance is designed to kill and maim and it will still quite happily do so if given the chance. As an example, cannon balls from the American civil war still kill people who fiddle with them every year. Just because something has been buried/drowned for a long period of time does not make it safe!! Indeed, one could contend that it makes them less safe due to a reduction in stability of certain explosives.

It will be interesting to see the finds, should you get the chance to get them out. If you need any help from myself or the RRPG group, please don't hesitate to ask.

Steve T

Indeed, there was the case a few years ago of the American guy who used 2 civil war cannonballs he dug up as some kind of decoration for his fireplace grill and you guessed it, come winter and the fireplace heated the cannonballs up just nicely and BLAMMO! No fireplace, living room or military archeologist.

Tex
    ?

1. Yes we have permission to retrieve them, we own the land.
    2. If I do get around to getting them out, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    3. The pond is about 40m X 90m and about 15ft deep.
    4. I do have diving experience and most of the kit.
    5. If I managed to get a weapon out, would it be possible for it to be reconditioned, deactivated and displayed?

I put this as a list because I like them :P

15 feet deep and you can dive and you own the land? Hell, I'd be out in the water Today....
    William

1. Awesome
    2. My group members have heavy lift magnets and grapling hooks as well as expertise in IDing and preserving this kind of thing. Go look at our website, (link below in my Sig). We would be more than happy to help.
    3. More like a small lake then!!!
    4. I'd be in there tomorrow if I was you, with suitable safety gear/ropes/buddies.
    5. Certainly......and we can help you achieve this

I like lists to

Use the 'contact us' page on our website if you which to discuss further.

Our friends have a mission! Do keep us informed (many photos!)
    Hope all turns out well!
    cheers, Glenn

well done steve ,thats very nice of you to offer your services

Not to be a pessimist but can you be sure there is boxes and weapons? A sonar scan in 15 feet of water sounds a bit pointless to me, 150 feet maybe but 15? Would a sonar scan of rotten tree branches laying on the bottom not resemble rifles or other guns? I think its worth getting out there with a magnet or a dive just to confirm what's there, after 70 years I would have expected (Unless there were thousands of boxes dumped) most boxes and or weapons to have been covered with silt. With out seeing some evidence, it would be a waste to go any further as it will only cost a small fortune with nothing to show at the end of it.

Bobby, There are such things as silt free bodies of water-not all lakes and ponds have thick mud bottoms and are covered with Lily pads-some simply have Sand on the bottom. And, yes-I owned a 34 Acre lake that was 40 feet deep, so I do know this as a fact. These are regarded as Swimming lakes. As for the sonar, even a fish scanner shows pretty good shapes and outlines in shallow waters, so yes-it is entirely plausible. A small fortune? Steve's group Has the equipment and they're volunteering to come help. That's about as economical as it gets.
    William

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast