Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Whats your best ground dug find, you found yourself

Article about: Found a german Mauser bayonet in germany with scabbard on. Thats my nicest find.

Default Re: Whats your best ground dug find, you found yourself

Operaman

Nope....not at all. All it means is that the stuff goes to a museum BUT the finder and land owner get 50% of the value each. The coroner determines if it is 'treasure' and then a committee decide on the value.

This only applies to items over a certain age. WW2 stuff doesn't even come close. You just need the land owners permission to search an area EXCEPT for crashed aircraft which are classed as war graves and protected very strongly. You can keep what you find but it is good practice to let the local archaeologists know about it.

Cheers

Steve T

Quote by banny View Post
    Hey Boys,
    Here are a couple of photos I have on my work computer, most of my collection is currently in storage while my new flat get renovated.

I've included the Japanese 75mm, as I found them, then a cleaned up shell. The 25x 37mm Japanese Shells, A Bamboo Pit Viper that I uncovered with my hands... luckily it didn't give me a kiss.
    There is a full charger of Mauser 7.92 Armour piercing rounds.

Since me first post last week, I've been out again in the hills. Last Saturday I went out to investigate some suspected British/Canadian trenches that someone found. We found a few Japanese 6.5mm shells and other bits and pieces. However after about 30 mins of sweeping I got a hit and started digging. About 15 mins later (and about 3 pints of sweat) I uncovered a live Japanese T91 grenade.... pin pulled.
    After I changed my undies I reported it about an hour later so that we could finish looking around. Luckily I took my time, but there was a second where I nearly shouted "Sod It" and went crashing in with the spade.... and I would have needed to have been mopped up. I can't emphasize enough how dangerous this hobby is, and anyone trying it must take extreme care.
    Hope you enjoy
    Hi Banny
    fantastic finds you have there congrats!!
    Love the 75mm shell's
    KR
    Thomas

?

I collect dug Military bits and have over 1000 buttons badges and cross belt plates..most have been given to me or I have bought.

My best dug items I have found are Cannonballs!!! ( I love cannonballs) And some WW2 SOE "switches" Pressure, pull ect and time pencils..all dug at the training area at Camp X in Oshawa Ont.

Of course as I run the Camp X Museum..I donated all those finds to the Museum.

Also I dug 3 German Badges at the site of a WW2 German POW Camp here in Ontario..hope to get back there and find somemore.

Dean

?

Hi Boys,
    Thanks for the compliments.
    I have attached a photo of one of the 37mm (out of 25 we found) shells I found after I have given it a clean.

I'm still envious if you guys being able to pick up really good stuff for a few quid in the boot sale, but now that I already have a decent collection started from ground finds, I will abstain from buying things. Although you guys have some really cool collections.

Keep up the good work.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Whats your best ground dug find, you found yourself  
    Last edited by banny; 05-27-2010 at 09:47 AM.

?

Quote by bikerboyzx6r View Post
    Since buying a "proper" metal detector, I have only been out twice However, my first ever finds were WW2 dated & made me very happy
    Hi Dan,
    the badge is a nice find! As you probably already know, the case is a blank .303 ammo. I found them alot around here too.
    Regards

Matt

?

Whats your best ground dug find, you found yourselfWhats your best ground dug find, you found yourself
    Hey Fella's.
    As it is finally cooling off now in Hong Kong, I went up into the hills with my new detector (MXT-Pro).
    I found a load of suspected Canadian issued .45cal rounds, all unfired in a fox hole. But then just as we were about to head home I got a big hit. So I carefully excavated and about 45 minutes later I pulled out a whole British Bayonet!.
    My new favourite piece! I need to get it properly taken care of, my friend does all the metal artefacts for the museums here so I will be hoping he can tidy it up for me.
    After some research I believe it is 1907 SMLE Bayonet. I have only seen one other Bayonet in H.K. and it was a Japanese one which is in pretty bad condition, so I am very chuffed.

Nice bayo! Can't wait to see it tidied up!

Well, because i am a little young (20) and i luck the meanings to go dug and friends with same passion i haven't find anything rare or important! The only things i have found are a British grenade shrapnel from my yard in Crete and a British helmet in the same position! However i am very proud of my findings because they are the only things to know their whereabouts and their origins!

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    ......... i am very proud of my findings ................
    And so you should be ! If you hadn't got them from the ground they would eventually cease to be recognisable and be lost forever. It is great to see someone of your age taking an interest in WW2.

Good luck with your searching

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    And so you should be ! If you hadn't got them from the ground they would eventually cease to be recognisable and be lost forever. It is great to see someone of your age taking an interest in WW2.

Good luck with your searching

Steve T
    Thanks a lot! I started collecting when i was 17! In my profile you can see the album with my collection!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast