Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

41 cof Bayonet, Scabbard & Frog

Article about: This was a bonus from the 1939 K98k I bought about a month ago. Today was the first time I really looked at it. Bayonet and scabbard are matching, as you can see. She's not a looker, that's

?

Default K98 Bayonet (1941 Eickhorn), Scabbard & Frog

This was a bonus from the 1939 K98k I bought about a month ago. Today was the first time I really looked at it. Bayonet and scabbard are matching, as you can see. She's not a looker, that's for sure. The blade is in really good condition, though. I can't really make out what is on the back of the frog. There's a Waffenamt with an M underneath it. Underneath that, there's some writing that is very faded. Too hard to make out anything more than the end, which looks like ODE or UDE 1939.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 41 cof Bayonet, Scabbard & Frog
    P
    Many

?

Matching with a KM marked Frog, nice find.
    Regards,
    John

?

Do you know what the writing on Frog would've said when it was new?

Well it looks like the word next to the 1939 is "WALSRODE", a town in lower Saxony, that being the case the maker may have been Franz Brehne, a known frog maker of that location. They made frogs, belts, helmet liners etc.

?

Franz Brehme Walsrode could be there on KM marked frog.
    Luftwaffe Equipment belt – Franz Brehme 1939 – LBA – fjm44
    The bayonet S84/98 was made by C.Eickhorn in 1941 under code 41cof, series letter l.

Hello,

a matching S84/98. The black color on the handle doesn't belong there. Better remove it.

The frog is from the Kriegsmarine. Breme Walsrode is a well-known manufacturer. Also produced large quantities for the KM.

41 cof Bayonet, Scabbard & Frog41 cof Bayonet, Scabbard & Frog

Greetings

?

I have no idea what the black stuff is. Whatever it is, looks like whoever applied it used too much, and some of it ended up on the blade. The stuff on the blade has an Epoxy-like feel to it.

?

I would certainly examine the black paint by better pictures of the piece, as by some KM bayonets this were observed as rust prevention mainly by units near the sea or on ships, when the blueing was weakened. The rifle adapter on pommel should be free from paint, when is completely painted so the paint is not period.

?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    I would certainly examine the black paint by better pictures of the piece, as by some KM bayonets this were observed as rust prevention mainly by units near the sea or on ships, when the blueing was weakened. The rifle adapter on pommel should be free from paint, when is completely painted so the paint is not period.
    Yea, I have no idea if it was messed around with after the war or whatever. I don't collect bayonets, so I really don't have any desire to investigate further. I'll probably end up asking people I know locally if they have any interest in it, and if someone does, I'll trade it toward the purchase of some ammo or another firearm.