Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

98k bayonet made by E.u.F. Hörster

Article about: Greetings, I recently acquired a 98k bayonet, and am quite pleased with it, yet I would appreciate any remarks or observations about its qualities. The most important for me would be origina

Default 98k bayonet made by E.u.F. Hörster

Greetings, I recently acquired a 98k bayonet, and am very pleased with it, yet I would appreciate any remarks or observations about its qualities; the most important would be originality, matching parts, and that it hasn't been messed around with post-war.

I'm not experienced with bayonets at all, but sought one to assemble the early war field equipment of an Infantryman. Hoping this is a one and done textbook example.

My phone camera would not do the details justice; therefore I will include the high quality photos provided from the dealer.

Virtual Grenadier

98k bayonet made by E.u.F. Hörster

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm always grateful for an education, thank you.
    Last edited by Larry C; 10-20-2023 at 04:15 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 98k bayonet made by E.u.F. Hörster
    P
    Many

?

Your bayonet is normal S84/98 made by Hoerster in 1937, the condition is ok, well worn, the blueing is still remained on blade, matching is good with scabbard, the frog should be LW type, but there was periodly added the secure strap. the front part was blackened.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    Your bayonet is normal S84/98 made by Hoerster in 1937, the condition is ok, well worn, the blueing is still remained on blade, matching is good with scabbard, the frog should be LW type, but there was periodly added the secure strap. the front part was blackened.
    Thank you very much, I appreciate your observations.

May I ask what is a LW type frog? Why would the front part be blackened?

?

LW type used short middle stich on backside, the piece was blackened visible on stitching which is on backside normal color front is black color, same as the rivets are black painted. The brown LW frog were post 1940 repainted to black, some have on backside natural brown color, i couldnt say its here but You could clear visible natural color of sewing on backside but blackened front side. Something happened to mouth piece of scabbard as is damaged by removing, possible the side secure screw is missing here.

Thank you for the information, I'll have do some reading on bayonets + leather frogs. I think this example will suffice for display.

For future postings please ....take the time since poor quality photos can not be afforded on your cell phone...but screen shots work well and it would be beneficial to upload photos from your computer to any future thread.

The problem with links that ...once the bayo is sold..the ad is pulled by the dealer leaving a dead link which serves no one here for future reference

I uploaded one photo for you
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill