Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?

Article about: Is this a rework or unit serial number, the scabbard is a mismatch and does note have the 789 number on it. Thanks

Default 98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?

Is this a rework or unit serial number, the scabbard is a mismatch and does note have the 789 number on it. Thanks98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 98K bayonet with numbers in muzzle ring, rework?
    P
    Many

Could be both a refurbishment mark or an accountability mark. As I understand it the German practice of marking bayonets with company number and weapon number ended around 1934. This is a 1939 made bayonet, but it may be the practice continued with some units. The numbers slightly separated could indicate Company 1, weapon 89. I think the first numeral is 1 rather than 7.

?

More real its a refurbishment marking, serialed 189.

Thank you for the response's, I assume they would pick up equipment after a battle and stuff that can't be fixed in the field was sent back to a armory? The bayonet seem's to be in really nice condition with it's original blueing. It don't show any signs of major damage anywhere that has been repaired.
    I mentioned the scabbard didn't match serial numbers but the frog is stamped "REGT 22" on the back. Would that be 22nd Artillery regiment of the 22nd division? I'll post a picture.

Post as many photos as you want ...it helps the community here and also helps you

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I believe You have there a LW frog,which was post 1940 blackened, unfortunally wout any stiching,and missed upper alu rivets, the unit could Flak Regt.22 which is not fully visible?.Normally Heer didnt stamp units in so late period. The scabbard looks like black painted over blueing mainly in area of frog hidden. The reblueing could be done in war, evidently the piece is missmatch as 41asw marked scabbard.

Yes it appears to have black paint but only under the frog area. the rest of the scabbard it blued. I didn't think of Luftwaffe. Thanks.

Quote by daleville View Post
    Thank you for the response's, I assume they would pick up equipment after a battle and stuff that can't be fixed in the field was sent back to a armory? The bayonet seem's to be in really nice condition with it's original blueing. It don't show any signs of major damage anywhere that has been repaired.
    I mentioned the scabbard didn't match serial numbers but the frog is stamped "REGT 22" on the back. Would that be 22nd Artillery regiment of the 22nd division? I'll post a picture.
    The MR number here IMO most likely added when the bayonet was reworked. Some early bayonets that were reworked have numbers added by whatever facility was used which accounts for the scattered nature of the markings. The reworking of guns and bayonets often prewar, some were so perfectly done that it's almost impossible to tell them from factory originals. Others much, much, easier to identify them as reworks, as well as those with single or multiple sets of (new) matching numbers). The fact that some Behörden (aka "commercial") reworked bayonets can have Wehrmacht style Depot markings (very scarce) indicates that they were most probably picked up from the battlefields. Best Regards, Fred

I took the handles off and the flashguard is numbered to the bayonet, the odd thing is that one handle is numbered to the bayonet and has a early weimar type waffenampt the other side is not numbered and has a Waa253 waffenampt. No signs of previous damage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast