Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

98K mauser bayonet?

Article about: Hi, I'm new to collecting bayonets. These are the only pics the auction house has provided. Im looking for more experienced collectors opinions on the authenticity and perhaps the value. Any

Default 98K mauser bayonet?

Hi, I'm new to collecting bayonets. These are the only pics the auction house has provided. Im looking for more experienced collectors opinions on the authenticity and perhaps the value. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Stay healthy.

98K mauser bayonet?

98K mauser bayonet?

98K mauser bayonet?

98K mauser bayonet?

98K mauser bayonet?

98K mauser bayonet?
    Last edited by AdamSmith; 04-26-2021 at 12:09 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 98K mauser bayonet?
    P
    Many

Hi Adam sadly these 2 photos may not be enough to answer your question.

Identifying marks or numbers would help greatly...but since these are the only pics...answers will be very limited.
    It would be nice to see any matching numbers on the ricasso and scabbard or waffenamt stampings.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Yeah those photo are lacking in detail.
    I can't even zoom in on them with out distortion to image.
    I can't see the maker, serial numbers or waffenamts and it looks like the scabbard frog stud doesn't any grooves to it
    It may be a one made by another country other than Germany or even commercial sales.

There are other here with WAY more knowledge than I,
    So wait and see what they think!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you all for the replies. Unfortunately, the auction house doesn't provide more pictures. They said I could come to see it in hand at the live auction, but it's located far from me. The lack of quality pictures is probably why the bayonet is going for only 5 euros at the moment (The bidding has gone on already for 6 days).

?

Does the auction house say if it's a matching pair??
    As in, Scabbard /Bayo have same serial number?

Some auction houses will give you details if asked.
    if you could get it for 5 euro's. It really wouldn't matter unless you collect these. That is a good price for a 84/98 matching or Not.

Maybe one of the experts on these can chime in and give their thoughts on it.

Just a thought.

Semper Fi
    Phil

What can we see in bad photos? That bayonet is sheathed back to front. It is very worn with little bluing remaining. As Phil spotted, no grooves in the frog stud. They stopped putting those on late 1939. Black bakelite grips were used late 1930's to 1942, so most likely the bayonet was made in that 1939-42 window. I can't see any maker mark on the blade, which suggests this could be a State Authority contract bayonet, in which case it would not have a waffenamt mark. The scabbard is serial numbered so could be mismatched, if a State Authority. The back of the scabbard has a number that may be the maker year date. Is that a "5"? that would be interesting, more likely a 3.
    This is really only an entry level bayonet for a new collector. Price should be low.

?

I would think the S84/98 bayonet when not sharpened could be good start even missmatch, most possible on scabbard could be jwh 43 which is France production, or other maker.

I was able to get some pictures of the serial numbers. Thank you all for the replies. I learnt a lot.

?

the bayonet was postwar used in one of east european country probably, the maker is P.Weyersberg 1943 kode crs, and scabbard as i mentioned jwh Manufaktur Chatellerault France. The condition is ok, no blueing but not heavy reworks, new pommel serials.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    the bayonet was postwar used in one of east european country probably, the maker is P.Weyersberg 1943 kode crs, and scabbard as i mentioned jwh Manufaktur Chatellerault France. The condition is ok, no blueing but not heavy reworks, new pommel serials.
    What Andy said. It's well worn and mismatched but looks like it's TR period (with of course as mentioned the exception of the markings on the top of the pommel). Best Regards, Fred