Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet

Article about: Hello Everyone, I was offered this bayonet, it is a bit suspicious for me, but I am not sure. I would really appreciate it if you helped me decide whether the bayonet is authentic or not. Th

Mtt
    ?

Default Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet

Hello Everyone,

I was offered this bayonet, it is a bit suspicious for me, but I am not sure.

I would really appreciate it if you helped me decide whether the bayonet is authentic or not.

Thank you.

Mtt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet   Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet  

Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet   Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet  

Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet   Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet
    P
    Many

Hello MTT ...what is a Hirsch ?

I am seeing the lower grip rivet being more new than the top rivet.
    The grip emblem Im not sure of and may have ben added later.

Over all the bayonet looks god being made by Alexander Coppel " Alcoso "
    The scabbard imo may have been added to it as well.

Those qestions...I will leave to the Edged Weapon Gents to answer...and you will receive exact answers .

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

He means probably a Horngrips from Hirsch on german, but this is a normal that some soldiers ordered the horngrips, looks like normal dress KS98 with horn grips mostly with Wehrmacht added emblem. its glued? The grips looks old there but could be replaced as the ACS is piece looks like prewar production.

I have a very similar Alcoso KS98, (photo below). Your one is authentic, including the stag horn grips which were a TR period option. I agree with Larry based on difference in patina, the scabbard is not the original one, and probably a recent swap. As for the insignia on the grip, difficult to sure when that was fitted, but most seen are post war additions, and without contrary evidence I expect this also would be a post WW2 addition. Remember these were private purchase so difficult to be sure about grip insignia additions.

Authentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonetAuthentic or replica? Hirsch k98 bayonet

The scarcer stag horn grips on average added RM .60 to the price, and I've never seen an option for a grip emblem. Visual and in hand examinations often showing signs of how they were added, to date the X-ray types have shown negative results for a factory installation. Best Regards, Fred

Hello,

this type of handle is called Hirschhorngriffschalen = Deer horn grips.

Manufacturer is Alexander Coppel GmbH Solingen (ALCOSO)

The problem that you have with extra bayonets / walking out bayonets is always that they are not subject to any regulations like the official ones.
    For a corresponding fee, anyone could order or have whatever they wanted made.

Your piece finally appears conclusive. The riveting of the handles is ok.

Unfortunately, the nickel plating is peeling off over a large area.

Regards

Mtt
    ?

Thank you for all of your detailed answers.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I do not own the bayonet, it was offered to me for EUR 250.

Taking everything into consideration, does it worth that much?

Thank you.

?

Probably too high, when it was etched blade it would be higher priced, but this is a plain KS98, question is still the grips are period replacement or later done by owner?