Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify this K98 mark?

Article about: I have searched through the threads and related maker's mark lists, but am unable to identify this, so I'm not sure it's even real. Maybe some of the experts can help?

?

Default Can anyone identify this K98 mark?

I have searched through the threads and related maker's mark lists, but am unable to identify this, so I'm not sure it's even real. Maybe some of the experts can help?Can anyone identify this K98 mark?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Can anyone identify this K98 mark?
    P
    Many

?

cof 43 is normal Carl Eickhorn 1943 production, there is unproper leather buffer which hide the full code, by S84/98 was not used similar buffer there was a mouth piece on matching scabbard.

?

Oh I see, what I thought was an "I" is actually an "f" !!?? OK thanks Andy for clearing that part up or me! So the buffer is incorrect/a replacement?

Quote by munk77 View Post
    Oh I see, what I thought was an "I" is actually an "f" !!?? OK thanks Andy for clearing that part up or me! So the buffer is incorrect/a replacement?
    Andy is correct the Wehrmacht combat bayonets never had factory installed buffers. With bayonets that have them it's fairly common to sometimes see deep corrosion (rust) underneath the buffer. Best Regards, Fred

I fell for it too!

Andy is of course correct on it being Carl Eickhorn and the leather washer being improper.
    I'd recommend the K98 Bayonet Data & Registry for reference on K98 bayonet markings year after year!
    k98 bayonets data and registry

Cheers!

?

I’d be inclined to keep the buffer in place. It looks old and may have been fitted by the soldier himself... (unless it’s a known foreign army, post-war modification, of course)!

?

No one of the postwar armies used similar feature, this is only known by dress KS98.In case the leather had some humidity inside it would damage the blueing under. Its a collector addition and not period.But offcoarse its a choice of owner what to do.