Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dress Bayonet by C. Gustav Spitzer Replacement Grips?

Article about: Ran across this Dress Bayonet by C. Gustav Spitzer, but I have never seen wood grips like this. Appear to be wood replacement grips. Would like some opinions, thank you

Default Dress Bayonet by C. Gustav Spitzer Replacement Grips?

Ran across this Dress Bayonet by C. Gustav Spitzer, but I have never seen wood grips like this. Appear to be wood replacement grips. Would like some opinions, thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dress Bayonet by C. Gustav Spitzer Replacement Grips?
    P
    Many

?

In my opinion these are not the original grips.

In addition, the stitching of the frog appears to have been tampered with and the wear to the finish of the scabbard appears impossible to have been caused by this frog.

Kilian that’s a very good point about the west on the scabbard I didn’t even notice that. I think it’s safe to say this one’s been messed with enough that I’m not interested in adding it to my collection. I’m fairly certain these only ever had the black plastic/Bakelite or stag grips.

?

Stag grips can be found both in real horn, or a stag imitation made out of wood. The challenge always is to guess when these stag grips were applied. It can be post war and it can be hard to tell.

Doubtfree originals from the Nazi period will have bakelite grips, with unmessed peening and they will have checkered grips with a square checkering. The checkering before the early 1930’s has a more elongated diamond shaped form.

?

You are correct. Wood grips are a replacement and not correct for the piece. Here is a Gustav Spitzer fireman's long version in my collection for reference: Link to pictures here: Fireman’s Long Bayonet

Some below as well.

"It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

Quote by Kilian View Post
    Stag grips can be found both in real horn, or a stag imitation made out of wood. The challenge always is to guess when these stag grips were applied. It can be post war and it can be hard to tell.

Doubtfree originals from the Nazi period will have bakelite grips, with unmessed peening and they will have checkered grips with a square checkering. The checkering before the early 1930’s has a more elongated diamond shaped form.
    Hey Kilian,

Here is one I have with the grip made from wood simulated to look like stag horn: KS98 Bayonet – Simulated Stag Grip
    Here is one that has the grip from actual stag horn: KS98 Bayonet – Stag Grip

?

These are nice examples Rossi and you show us two of the many rarer makers. I did some research in the past and found that there must have been dozens of makers of dress bayonets. There is a group of more common makers, topped by Eickhorn and Alcoso and there’s a whole lot of smaller/less common/rarer makers.
    Last edited by Kilian; 11-10-2023 at 01:48 PM.

That’s a great fireman’s Rossi very cool!

?

Quote by Kilian View Post
    These are nice examples Rossi and you show us two of the many rarer makers. I did some research in the past and found that there must have been dozens of makers of dress bayonets. There is a group of more common makers, topped by Eickhorn and Alcoso and there’s a whole lot of smaller/less common/rarer makers.
    Off topic a bit of dress pieces. Another one I enjoy is this Verlangerungsmesser Saufanger I have with a stag handle and rarer maker for forestry / hunting. Also known as a "Pig Sticker".

Yes definitely replacement grips, but as mentioned the wooden imitation stag horn grips were an available option during the TR era. They were not popular and today are actually quite rare, in fact it may be worth more for than a real stag horn grip depending on condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast