Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

E. Pack & Söhne Bayonet, Late War, Matching

Article about: Hi gents! I've just picked up another matching one I'd like to show off. Very nice K98 Seitengewehr with red bakelite grip scales. Marked "44 cul" for a production date of 1944, an

Default E. Pack & Söhne Bayonet, Late War, Matching

Hi gents! I've just picked up another matching one I'd like to show off.

Very nice K98 Seitengewehr with red bakelite grip scales. Marked "44 cul" for a production date of 1944, and manufactured by the prolific E. Pack & Söhne. Both the bayonet and the scabbard are stamped 5718. It's wearing an RBNr. marked frog stamped 0/0833/0009, indicating production by Heinrich Sohn KG, Neu-Ulm. Lots of blue remaining on the blade, unmolested screws, very nice grips and clear WaA marks. Happy to have found this one!

Thanks for having a look.

-DF

E. Pack & Söhne Bayonet, Late War, MatchingE. Pack & Söhne Bayonet, Late War, Matching
    E. Pack & Söhne Bayonet, Late War, MatchingE. Pack & Söhne Bayonet, Late War, Matching
    Last edited by DerFunker; 01-17-2023 at 12:36 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement E. Pack & Söhne Bayonet, Late War, Matching
    P
    Many

?

The bayonet S84/98 looks nice, bayonet is serialed in b range so probably 25718. bayonet marked 44.cul. the frog i dont see it exactly but there is probably not 7 in last digit place more real is there 0009 or something else.

The RBNr. is 0/0833/0009 = Heinrich Sohn KG, Neu-Ulm

The retainingstrap is missing.

Regards

?

SW i assume the strap was cut off like many time to see, on this frogs.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    The bayonet S84/98 looks nice, bayonet is serialed in b range so probably 25718. bayonet marked 44.cul. the frog i dont see it exactly but there is probably not 7 in last digit place more real is there 0009 or something else.
    Thanks for having a look. Yes, you're right! Definitely is a 9 now that I've taken another look under better light (and also put on my glasses).

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    The RBNr. is 0/0833/0009 = Heinrich Sohn KG, Neu-Ulm

The retainingstrap is missing.

Regards
    Thanks very much for the info regarding the frog RBNr. - I'll update my notes.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    SW i assume the strap was cut off like many time to see, on this frogs.
    Yep, you can see that the strap was very neatly cut away from the frog. No telling when this was done, but I have read that it was often done during war-time to either allow quicker access to the bayonet, or if the straps had become damaged. Thanks for having a look.

?

i believe the cut of retaining strap was done prior end of war 1945.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    i believe the cut of retaining strap was done prior end of war 1945.
    Thank you, Andy. I've seen so very many neatly cut straps, and had always wondered if there was a primary reason.

Hello,

when the retaining straps were cut off is pure speculation.
    With strap they are much more practical as they hold the handle tight. Which is otherwise just in the way.
    That's why they were introduced in 1939 for the whole army. Frrogs were always repaired or missing straps were added.
    I can rather imagine that you have already gotten rid of damaged (torn or torn off, no longer fastenable) straps. It can also have happened after 1945 in order to be able to decorate a souvenir more beautifully.

Regards

Very nice example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast