Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.

Article about: I've been AWOL on contributing for a few months, so thought I'd post up this bayonet that I find interesting. Manufacturer's code is that of Paul Weyersburg & Co. Solingen. One thing I f

TWS
    ?

Default Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.

I've been AWOL on contributing for a few months, so thought I'd post up this bayonet that I find interesting.

Manufacturer's code is that of Paul Weyersburg & Co. Solingen. One thing I find interesting is the date code of "K" which indicates 1934, making this quite an early example. Another thing is the presence of a Troddel on a field bayonet. From my limited knowledge this practice could indicate the status of a duty NCO or a soldier on guard duty back in garrison. More commonly we encounter a Troddel on a dress or "parade" bayonet. The color combination indicates the 8th company of the regiment. Unfortunately, the grip screws show signs of inexpert tightening.

Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting S84/98 III (K98k) bayonet.
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Very nice Todd.

I can hardly see any damage to the screws
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks like refurbished in time, the frog could be for different item as too large the lower pouch, any stamps on backside? Yes its a very early production piece by P.Weyersberg under code S/176. I would personally look at the assembly numbers as the locking lug, looks little loosy inside of hole.

Yes the mortice lock looks like a replacement part, but probably still period. The frog looks like it was intended for an S98/05 bayonet, rather than a S84/98.
    The bayonet likely is refurbished, re-blued. The troddel was sometimes seen on combat bayonets as you mention and also with a Guard of Honour. This one is for Kompanie 8 of Bataillon II.

?

This Trodell is not for a NCO but for man,secondly the frog could be with the weak stitching for Red Cross Hewer intended.

Like he said, "a soldier on guard duty", we all know it's not an NCO troddel.

TWS
    ?

Thanks for everyone who chimed in. Yes, I thought it could be re-blued as my other examples from the pre-war period have a different finish, and my war-time examples have a finish similar to this one. Trying to say, pre-war bayonet with war time (re) blueing.

I'll have a look at my other frogs as this one does seem a bit "roomy" to be paired with a 84/98 III bayonet.

AndyB, I think you're correct. I should have said "charge of quarters" or corporal of the guard rather than duty NCO to be safe, but that is a term probably unfamiliar to most.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Hello,

the knot is a privately purchased piece for enlisted ranks (no non-commissioned officers). Bought myself, not for service. These knots were worn on the dress bayonet.

There were also official knots.

Whether and when knots were worn on duty was ordered. Like parades. In use, this is rarely found in enlisted ranks.

You can regularly see on photos that non-commissioned officers and portepee non-commissioned officers wear konts or portepee on the bayonet, even when on duty.

The bayonet itself also seems to me to have been revised - newly blued.
    The frog is rather inappropriate and should be a piece of the police.

Altogether a compiled non-related ensable

Regards

TWS
    ?

Quote by AndyB View Post
    This Trodell is not for a NCO but for man,secondly the frog could be with the weak stitching for Red Cross Hewer intended.
    At first I thought "no way" is it wide enough to be a Red Cross frog. Then I compared it to my Red Cross frog... You may very well be correct Andy as they are virtually the exact same size and construction.

Looks like I didn't do too well on this purchase. However, it is a very early bayonet so I like that aspect.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Hello,

a frog for the Red Cross Hauer is nothing more than an S98/05 frog, which was also made for the police and air raid protection. Some of these have the same manufacturers (Paul Klopfer, Carl Busse, W.R. Bauer etc.)

The pieces for the Red Cross can only be recognized by certain stamps, which stand for the depot. These are usually just letters like "H" for Hanover.

In addition, such fogs show imprints of the Hauer.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast