Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

K98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog

Article about: Hello All many years ago i picked up this canvas and leather bayonet frog i was told it was ww2 German and indeed a K98 bayonet fits spot on however i have never seen another the constructio

DAI
    ?

Default K98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog

Hello All
    many years ago i picked up this canvas and leather bayonet frog i was told it was ww2 German and indeed a K98 bayonet fits
    spot on however i have never seen another the construction is very good i would like to ask the opinion of fellow collectors is it a
    good one or post war any photos of it in use would be very helpful many thanks for any help
    best wishes
    DAIK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog
    P
    Many

Hello DAI!

Do you have a good picture of the front of the frog without the bayonet in it?

Spartan

Hello! looks to be an old late war 'bread bag' or 'last ditch' type frog, which are a bit harder to find, very nice!
    I also agree with Spartan, pictures without the bayonet in the scabbard would be much appreciated!

Picture below is a good reproduction of the frog type im thinking about. Couldn't find any other images for some reason.

Regards.
    Last edited by Mordecai; 12-22-2023 at 09:04 PM.

Never seen one before. Thanks for posting and others providing information.
    John

Member Sleepwalker will no doubt be able to confirm one way or the other.

?

Should be looked for marking on blade, i believe the piece could be of 1944 production wout any extensive using, the frog could be too a later one made with web mainpart, but detailed pictures should be visible. Most real it was joined together and never used as no wearing traces on frog and scabbard are visible.

Hello,

these frogs are fakes. It didn't exist in this form.

Originals have three seams and hollow rivets. They were probably only made for political organizations, authorities or the police.
    If you find an untouched set, it contains a bayonet without any removal, i.e. for political organizations, authorities or the police.

Regards

Quote by Mordecai View Post
    Hello! looks to be an old late war 'bread bag' or 'last ditch' type frog, which are a bit harder to find, very nice!
    I also agree with Spartan, pictures without the bayonet in the scabbard would be much appreciated!

Picture below is a good reproduction of the frog type im thinking about. Couldn't find any other images for some reason.

Regards.
    Hello,

yes, the picture is mine.

Fake SG98 Bayonet Frogs

The frog is a fake. The front pocket was even sewn on the wrong way round.

Rregards

Quote by DAI View Post
    Hello All
    many years ago i picked up this canvas and leather bayonet frog i was told it was ww2 German and indeed a K98 bayonet fits
    spot on however i have never seen another the construction is very good i would like to ask the opinion of fellow collectors is it a
    good one or post war any photos of it in use would be very helpful many thanks for any help
    best wishes
    DAIK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frogK98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog
    Obvious signs of a fake are

- this zinc (?) stud
    - Leather quality, coloring and processing
    - This woven material (wrong weave structure and mixed fabric/cotton??)
    - The rivets have a flat back
    - The hollow rivets are a wrong pattern and also installed the wrong way round.

In the 1990s it was sold in larger quantities as far as I remember. It was available in all leather with the wrong RB number, webbing + brown leather and webbing + black leather.

The gray frogs are legitimate (both brown and black tie straps) - but are NVA (East German) not TR. As for some of the other tan/sand color ones they seem to have been from at least two batches. The earliest ones that I've seen were made from different ersatz period pieces from other fabric type items that are different than what I believe was probably later production, with none of the items being marked. And at least one fabric backed "shorty" has been seen from the father of a serious TR collector that predates the Berlin Wall being taken down. The late ersatz example posted here having its original late matching/matching TR bayonet that was rusted and stuck inside the pouch until I removed it. PS: The East Germans (NVA) also made close but not exact copies of the TR period folding shovels. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog   K98 Bayonet canvas and leather frog  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast