MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98 Double Etched Bayonet

Article about: Hello, I would like to have some opinions on this etched bayonet. The Seller claims that it was found underground. The bayonet itself looks original to me, the etch is very detailed, but i c

?

Question K98 Double Etched Bayonet

Hello,

I would like to have some opinions on this etched bayonet.

The Seller claims that it was found underground. The bayonet itself looks original to me, the etch is very detailed, but i cannot tell if it is original or not.

maker marked solingen, but i did some research and it seems to be an FW Höller etch.

Zur Errinerung an meine dienstzeit PZ ABW 25 Kornwestheim

the scabbard is marked "815"

Thanks in advance!

Hill

(I tried to make the photo in horizontale mode, but it didn't work. Don't know how to turn them. if someone could do that than that would be great!.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Double Etched Bayonet   K98 Double Etched Bayonet  

K98 Double Etched Bayonet   K98 Double Etched Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98 Double Etched Bayonet
    P
    Many

Found underground ...meaning buried in the dirt? ...in the immaculate condition that is in...the seller is yanking your leg.

Show photos of both sides of the scabbard as well...and the etch looks very clean as well for being underground.
    These dress bayos are ruined by fake etches..but wait for Moderator Anderson to read this thread..he has a sharp eye for these etches.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

This design is attributed to F W Holler, the remembrance anti tank unit citation is known on Holler marked bayonets. This is an unmarked KS98 with a reverse side etching showing the crew in action. Not known in the Holler catalogues but Wayne Techet does include it in his book (p.252) as an authentic unattributed combination, possibly made for one of the client blade makers Holler supplied etchings for. I've studied the etching on this one closely and I can't fault it.

Perhaps found in a basement, lost in translation. Either way the etching looks immaculate.

?

@Larry C I think that the scabbard protected the blade from rust. Will post more pictures later in the day.

Thank you for your time.

Hill

?

Nevermind i forget that i had some pictures on my laptop.

Will post some better pictures Later in the day.

Hill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98 Double Etched Bayonet   K98 Double Etched Bayonet  

Thankyou Hill Photos are everything here
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hello, I don't know what the seller meant by "underground" either. The leather of the frog has hardend, so I cannot take it off the scabbard.

Here are some more photo's:

Hill

K98 Double Etched Bayonet  

?

@everyone

So, can we come to the conclusion that both etches are TR period?

If yes, then at what price range would it be worth. I know that we usually don't do evaluations here, but i cannot find another one on the internet.

Hill

It's not uncommon for a scabbard to perfectly protect a blade even in damp conditions. The quality of the etching is good and better than the fakes we see from the 1970's. Looking at it logically, would a faker choose a battered rusted no maker mark bayonet to put an on etching? I think probably not. Wayne Techet shows an exact same etched bayonet also only marked "Solingen" in his book and accepts it as authentic to the TR period. Unless there is compelling evidence it against it being TR period, I would accept this one as being authentic. Values we don't do, but not in great condition, negotiate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast