Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“

Article about: Hello, I ask for your assistance in determining the authenticity of a bayonet. I have been collecting edged weapons for a short time and have not yet learned to distinguish whether the etchi

Default KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“

Hello,

I ask for your assistance in determining the authenticity of a bayonet.
    I have been collecting edged weapons for a short time and have not yet learned to distinguish whether the etching on the blade of the bayonet is original or not. The bayonet itself looks genuine, but I have doubts about the inscription. Also, it seems to me that the the frog do not belong to this bayonet.

KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“
    P
    Many

Hi Mihail,

Im still learning as well but it looks like a Holler NR.S102 pattern. what is correct for this maker.

F.W.Holler is one of the big 5 parent companies. Red Filt is Wehrmacht\Flak. but a brown frog normally means Luftwaffe but has yellow Filt.

Bayo and scabbard looks good. ( beginner too )

Cheers.

Moderator Anderson has very sharp eyes and knowledge with these knives especially with the etch patterns.
    wait for him to chime in and give his analysis.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Very nice. I cannot fault the condition of this one.

?

Question is that the frog is period and how is marked on backside, personally i dont believe frog and trodell are proper here on this KS98. There are in internet similar pieces presented.

I've got a few issues with this one. Firstly the photos, presumably from the dealer shows only two barely adequate photos of the etching. When you consider 70-80% of the value in an etched KS98 is from the etching, a buyer should expect more images of the etching.
    The frog, marked it appears 1943, seems a doubtful date for one of these bayonets, the main enthusiasm for remembrance service etched bayonets was pre-war.
    As to the etching the right side decorative design next to the eagle is causing me concerns. The design is complicated and difficult to copy, which is probably what F.W.Holler intended. In this example I don't see the correct form of the shapes, but you need to study several other etched bayonets of this design to see it.

This one below I believe is genuine; The one to the right is the example the OP posted for comparison. The shapes are different.

KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“KS 98 „Zur Erinnerung an meine Dienstzeit“

As these etching should come from the same manufactured template, there should be no differences between genuine etchings.

The OP's example also has an etching that's too close to the blade edge and not leaving sufficent border,

Thank you very much for the detailed response; this is very helpful information. Also, thank you for the attached photo of the original; I will keep it for myself so that I can compare engravings if I encounter such a bayonet for sale again in the future. There are indeed visible differences in the engraving between your photo and what the seller posted. From this, one can conclude that the seller is attempting to pass off a counterfeit as an original.
    Thank you so much for helping me, and I'm glad I didn't waste my money!

Very well observed reply from Anderson. Certainly when put alongside a know original etched example the differences are indeed striking. I wonder if the etching is a later addition on an original dress bayonet?

?

Problem is here there are different type of fullers so the etch looks different on a thin fuller comparing to a large bright fuller, there is evident different ends of panels. Wout exact comparation with confirmed original is better leave is.
    K98 Single Etched Short Bayonet - F.W. Holler | Legacy Collectibles

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast