Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

KS98 - Single Etched Long Dress Bayonet - Infantry - Carl Eickhorn

Article about: KS98 Single Etched Long Dress Bayonet by Carl Eickhorn can anyone identify the etched pattern Nr.? Experimenting with different Troddel knot styles, any thoughts on how to tie other knots? P

?

Default KS98 - Single Etched Long Dress Bayonet - Infantry - Carl Eickhorn

KS98 Single Etched Long Dress Bayonet by Carl Eickhorn with NCO Troddel, can anyone identify the etched pattern Nr.?

Experimenting with different Troddel knot styles, any thoughts on how to tie other knots?

Photos taken in sunlight.

Last edited by Mint; 03-23-2019 at 10:43 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KS98 - Single Etched Long Dress Bayonet - Infantry - Carl Eickhorn
    P
    Many

A nice one Mint. That is the 3220 pattern Eickhorn remembrance etching usually regarded as for Heer and featuring the helmet and crossed rifles. The Eickhorn trademark is also worth comment as well, as this is one with the "coiled tail' detail and usually regarded as occurring early in the time frame this trademark was used, so perhaps 1935 manufacture. Some might say you have the wrong troddel on there, but I don't want to get into that argument. That's for showing us.

?

Thank you Anderson for the comments! As I understand it, the Troddel is correct for an NCO (Hauptfeldwebel), however, if this is inaccurate please let me know.

Some believe an NCO would only buy a short (20cm) blade KS98. However as these were privately purchased and for a man having completed probably his compulsory military training period, (hence the remembrance etching) who know whether he might choose 25cm blade over 20cm? So either the troddel fitted or a one showing regiment and company colours is probaby correct.

?

That is very interesting information, thank you! I wondered about the difference between the long and short bayonets, my understanding was that it was based on personal choice whether to spend more money or less - the same reasoning for single or double sided etching, and the etching pattern chosen?

As for the troddel, I learned that the Green/Silver version was for the NCO and the others that varied in colours were for the regular enlisted man to show their unit association (Company, Regiment, etc.). I want know if that is fact, so if anyone knows how the they were selected it would be very helpful?

Yes, your silver/green troddel is an NCO version, but my point was an enlisted man could also buy a 25cm blade etched bayonet like you have, and so either type of troddel (NCO or 3 colour enlisted) might have originally be attached, if at all.

TWS
    ?

Very nice example. Thanks for sharing.

I have to open the book when selecting a Troddel to make sure the selection makes sense.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."