Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Long Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No Maker

Article about: Thought I would share my one and only etched bayonet. The long dress stag handled Bayonet is Etched with an Distinctive Holler, ES 102 bookend pattern. The etch reads “Zur Erinnerung an Me

?

Default Long Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No Maker

Thought I would share my one and only etched bayonet. The long dress stag handled
    Bayonet is Etched with an Distinctive Holler, ES 102 bookend pattern.
    The etch reads “Zur Erinnerung an Mein Dienstzeit beim Gebirg-Jager-Reg.99 Sonthofen”. ( In memory of my service time with Mountain -TroopsRegiment -99 Sonthofen). I found an example on an E.F Horster long dress bayonet in Wayne H. Techet’s book German Etched Bayonets. So is E.F Horster the bayonet maker ? I understand the etch patterns were used by a variety’s of makers. Any help or opinions would appreciated. Thanks Long Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No Maker

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Long Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No Maker
    P
    Many

From memory, Höller was the primary producer of this vine and leaf pattern and font style, although they are often found on Hörster and occasionally WKC products as well. The table of etch producer cross pollination in Wayne’s book was very helpful.

I own a police bayonet and a fire bayonet that are both etched with similar motifs. The police bayonet is maker marked by Höller. The fire bayonet is not maker marked but has the distinctive pommel shape of a Hörster.

?

Thanks for the comments ….I had Wayne Techet authenticate this bayonet at last years show of shows before I purchased and also picked up his second book …(Revised Edition).

"So is E & F Horster the bayonet maker?" Did you ask Wayne?

The fact you have had Wayne Techet give the thumbs up should answer your questions. But I also have Techet's book and did a re-read while looking at your bayonet. The bayonet is an authentic KS98 from the TR period. But I do see some red flags that would prevent me from buying. Firstly it is an unmarked/ unattributed maker bayonet with a special unit specific remembrance citation. That is unusual according to Wayne in his book. There were generic etchings that fitted any service "in memory of my service time" and these could be bought at any military outfitter shop for Army to Air force personnel. Then where were special double, even triple etchings and specific military units mentioned. Wayne is of the view these etched bayonets, often relating to a field based units (ie Mountain troops or reconnaissance) were sold by Solingen field representatives from the various major companies. It would be odd for one of these Companies (such as E & F Horster) would take an order for a specific unit marked etched bayonet and not put it on a blade with the company logo. After all these bayonets were to shown to comrades and they would want to know "whose the maker?" Etched bayonets were very much a marketing tool for company reputation.
    The other issue I would have is some of the etching particularly around the citation lettering is very average. In this example the remembrance verse "Zur Erinnerung..." lacks the sharp squared off edging and is quite rounded like small fat worms in a row. The lower lines relating to "beim Gebirgs-Jager-Reg. 99" is better, sharper defined lettering. But the in-consistency between top lines and lower lines is not what I would expect from Solingen master etchers.
    There is also a problem with "line bleed" on top above "i" in Erinnerung, again not up to Solingen standard. And the word "Sonthofen" is off centre. It's not in the example in Techet's book. A few other issues with the floral book ends I could point to as well, (ie,gap between upper and lower border lines).

Long Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No Maker

?

I appreciate the comments and your opinion ….Long Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No Maker

Compare the floral, vine leaf decoration at the left end from your bayonet to an example from Wayne's book, regarded as authentic. There are differences once you see past the negative/positive images. I see on your example missing lines and less "flow" to the detail.

Long Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No MakerLong Etched Dress Bayonet w/Stag Handle No Maker