Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Numbers Matching K98 Bayonet

Article about: I purchased this a while ago off of Craigslist. It is a numbers matching #8050, 41 ASW. Seems in very nice condition. I feel I got it for a very good price also, not a steal because I do not

?

The piece looks like mentioned by Fred or other user possible restamped digit, or You should compare the digits with other piece in o range of 41asw, i believe it could be a spare piece later reserialed to the scabbard number, evidently there is no series letter, which is not obvious for 41asw.But it could be proper refurbishment of war period. The grips looks ok to me.b.r.Andy
    PS I would look to serialing of locking nut, it looks too cleaned to compare the other surface of pommel.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Numbers Matching K98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

I have an example here with the suffix, in this case it is the letter a
    it may give you some idea of what the guys are saying also stamped 36 on the spine, pity its not a matching set.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi William, it has been re-stamped for sure.

The font is different on the blade compared to the scabbard. Look closely the shape of the numbers. A maker would not have two different sets of dies.

Cheers, Ade.
    Hello Adrian,

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. I understand what you are saying that the fonts of the two serial #s should be the same, that is logical unless they are stamped at different times by different machines. I have been studying "K98 Bayonet Registry & Photos" as suggested by someone. I do not know how precise this site is but for the 7 "41asw" bayonets listed I think 3 show definitely different fonts between the blade and scabbard. Look at example 41AW 6014 m. All four serial numbers are different I think. I think the fonts are different for 41asw 4215 y and 41asw 2905. They all look hand stamped as the line of numbers is uneven. 41asw 5278 appears to be a hand stamp to me as the numbers are uneven. Would these all be late war make overs? I am very curious. This shows how hard it is to be completely accurate when discussion something 70 years old. It is really our best guess. Thanks for all you do for this great forum.

William

?

hello William i would dissagree with that opinion, i believe all pictured bayonet on Arnauds page under 41asw have been stamped mechanically by a rotating mashine, so the digits are vertically not always in a line but horizontally there are same dimmensions between on bayonets are used too same height and fonts, on some scabbards were used other font,possible from earlier period, anyway Your 8050 on bayonet was stamped by different high fonts and by hand, which is visible on horizontal side movement of digits, Hoerster couldnt stamped handly, they produced 270000 pcs each year, in 1943,44 even more. b.r.Andy

Quote by AndyB View Post
    hello William i would dissagree with that opinion, i believe all pictured bayonet on Arnauds page under 41asw have been stamped mechanically by a rotating mashine, so the digits are vertically not always in a line but horizontally there are same dimmensions between on bayonets are used too same height and fonts, on some scabbards were used other font,possible from earlier period, anyway Your 8050 on bayonet was stamped by different high fonts and by hand, which is visible on horizontal side movement of digits, Hoerster couldnt stamped handly, they produced 270000 pcs each year, in 1943,44 even more. b.r.Andy
    I see what you are saying, thank you.

Hallo,

a K98 bayonet never exist. The correct name is Seitengewehr 84/98. The Karabiner 98k gets no own bayonetmodel.

Yes, asw is the code of Hörster Solingen. Year of producing is 1941.

In 1934 the Reichswehr ordered to disestablished the Unit-stamps.
    The substitute ONLY for the Reichswehr/Wehrmacht/Contracts of the Waffenamt was the new System of numbering in form of a serial-number.
    For this reason this bayonet bears a number.

Because of the high production rates, Seitengewehre 84/98 were bulk good, after the number were placed a "Block-Letter". Every block were 10.000 bayontes.
    This means: 0-9999 = no block letter, 10000-19999 = a, 20000-29999 = b and so forth. On the other Hand you can place the position of the letter in the alphabetic system bevor the number a= 1, b=2, c= 3 and so on. If one block -letter was not enough there ere used dopple letters like aa (25), bb (26)... ww, vv ...
    O is the fifteenth alphabetic character, so the number "8050 o" means the 158.050 expamle of only this maker out of the year 1941 for the Waffenamt contract going to the Wehrmacht (Marine, Luftwaffe, Heer) and Waffen-SS units under the high command of the Wehrmacht.

In a new year the numbering starts again by 1

Regards

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6