Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Polizeiwehr Bayern = Bavarian Police Force - Bayonet 98/05 with an eventful history

Article about: Hello, I would like to offer you this bayonet 98/05 n.A.S.abg. present with an eventful history. Originally it was a SG 98/05 a.A.S. with leather scabbard, which was probably used in a field

Default Polizeiwehr Bayern = Bavarian Police Force - Bayonet 98/05 with an eventful history

Hello,

I would like to offer you this bayonet 98/05 n.A.S.abg. present with an eventful history.

Originally it was a SG 98/05 a.A.S. with leather scabbard, which was probably used in a field artillery regiment. It is probably a delivery to Bavaria with Royal Prussian acceptance. These pieces were usually given a number on the front and a troop stamp on the crossguard on the back.
    In 1915 or later the grip was modified by removing the barrel bolsters and adding a fireplate. Possibly the steel scabbard was added later.
    In 1918 the back of the saw was ground down.

After the World War, the piece ended up with the "Staatliche Polizeiwehr Bayern" (Pw.B) - State Police Force Bavaria, where the last stamps were applied. Old troop stamps of the "Old Army" and numbering were previously removed.
    The SG was then numbered PwB and 153 on all parts.

This police force existed from 1919 to September 1920, after which it was transformed into the State Order Police. From November 22, 1920, the name was changed to Bavarian State Police.

The bayonet bears the 1920 stamp according to the "law on the disarmament of the population" of August 7, 1920.

Fortunately, the bayonet has probably not been changed since then, so that this condition has been preserved as a rare snapshot from the period between July/August and September 1920.

Regards

Polizeiwehr Bayern = Bavarian Police Force - Bayonet 98/05 with an eventful history

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Polizeiwehr Bayern = Bavarian Police Force - Bayonet 98/05 with an eventful history
    P
    Many

Hello SW ...Great history and a rarity as well ....since all the fittings are stamped with # 153....what is the # 24 on the scabbard ball.

I have a rare extra long Heer bayonet pre WW1 that the lower scabbard ball is marked with a # 7 ....so my question what do those numbers stand for ?

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Hello SW ...Great history and a rarity as well ....since all the fittings are stamped with # 153....what is the # 24 on the scabbard ball.

I have a rare extra long Heer bayonet pre WW1 that the lower scabbard ball is marked with a # 7 ....so my question what do those numbers stand for ?

Regards Larry
    Hello,

these are previous armory inventory numbers.
    Very probably still from the 1st World War

Regards

?

Nice bayonet with interesting life, i assume under the reverse crossguard was a old imperial unit removed, the scabbard from proofs should be from Suhl area, on ball finial was old assembly nr.24.

Hello.

yes, there was a royal Bavarian troop stamp before. Standing on your head the Bavarian way. You can only add a "3." recognize.
    But I'm assuming foot artillery.

?

Yes You should be right with Bavarian orientation, from circular end in front of digit 3 i personally would tend to P asfor Pioneer more as to AF, which would be Foot Artillery.