Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sawback Opinions 2

Article about: This is another sawback I have in my collection, I would like to know what the K.S.1.6.6.3 stands for, condition is not to bad but the blade has been sharpened at some time. Sorry if I have

Default Sawback Opinions 2

This is another sawback I have in my collection, I would like to know what the K.S.1.6.6.3 stands for, condition is not to bad but the blade has been sharpened at some time.

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section.

z4
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sawback Opinions 2   Sawback Opinions 2  

Sawback Opinions 2   Sawback Opinions 2  

Sawback Opinions 2  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sawback Opinions 2
    P
    Many

KS = Kaiserliche Schutztruppe. German Colonial forces.

This site may be of interest with background and further illustrations of the bayonets they used.

German Colonial Uniforms

Thanks for the link Richie, I will check it out in more detail over the weekend.

z4

?

Z4, you have alot of very nice bayo's, but this 1898 kurzes sawback has got to be my favorite. An issued bayo to the German colonial forces in Africa is a rare bird indeed! A true piece of history from when Germany was becoming a world power and looking to get their slice of Africa like everyone else. The only thing better than this, IMO, is one marked to an airship crew.

Thanks for sharing,
    Jim

Nice rare sawback totally agree one hard to find. Love the stamps on it. timothy

Greetings Z4,

Thought you'd enjoy a period picture of one too.

Regards,

Lance

Sawback Opinions 2

Really nice pic Lance, I noticed on the link Richie sent there is the same bayonet with the serial K.S.1.6.1.3

z4

Great picture.

Agreed a great photo..and shows the Sawback " In Wear " which now is included here : in the Period Edged Weapons Photos- sub forum
    K98 - Karabiner 98 Seitengewehr ( Bayonet )

Post #9
    Thankyou for sharing and Jim giving a history lesson on the Sawback..and the German Colonial forces Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Interesting the scabbard fonts are different to the bayonet stamping.