Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Undated bayonet

Article about: Hi is there any one who can help me indentify my bayonet. It has 8320 f on one side and just CUL on other side with no date. It has Bakelite grips and scabbard has just got 8320. It does hav

Default Undated bayonet

Hi is there any one who can help me indentify my bayonet. It has 8320 f on one side and just CUL on other side with no date. It has Bakelite grips and scabbard has just got 8320. It does have Waffenfabrik stamps which I think says wa 885 or maybe 883. What year would this be.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Undated bayonet
    P
    Many

If you can post photos, there are people on this forum who will likely be able to identify it in a heartbeat.

Visual Guide to Upload Photos

From what you've said, you'd be able to tell if it was prewar or wartime by the style of WaffenAmt markings. If the eagles have spread horizontal wings it's wartime. Before the onset of the war the Germans used the 'Imperial-style' eagles with folded wings. You'd be able to tell where the bayonet was inspected by looking up the WaA number.

EDIT: For reference, these are wartime WaffenAmts.

Undated bayonet

Regards, B.B.

I see you have doubled posted. Ernst Pack & Sohne is maker and based on WaA883 made 1941.

mpw
    ?

Often the year of manufacture date can be found here......
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Undated bayonet  

Default K98 bayonet

Quote by mpw View Post
    Often the year of manufacture date can be found here......
    Thank you ,you are exactly right. I looked and found a very faint 40. Is that the same with any item about the eagles wings.
    Could you please help me with another question I have. I also recently bought another bayonet which was advertised as ww2. It has Carl Eickhorn 1938 on both bayonet and scabbard With matching numbers 2369 and waffen stamps in usual places. The bayonet And scabbard are in excellent condition with the blade retaining most of its bluing. I paid £160 for this , but now feel I paid to much for this as it is pre war. Would this bayonet been used in ww2 .

Stuart.....is there any reason why you can not post photos ?

Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Anything that was made pre war was used in the war including assorted WW1 equipment and even earlier stuff-the Germans were always chronically short of weapons and other equipment at every stage of it.

Default K 98 photos

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Stuart.....is there any reason why you can not post photos ?

Larry
    Hi Larry thanks for your help. I could post photos , but I keep my collection at my parents house as my wife won't allow it at ours . She classes it as junk. I am also new to the site. I am very passionate about ww2. It's not about money I love history and go to Normandy and ww2 sites every year. Going back to my carl eickhorn bayonet from 38 it has all matching numbers and waffen stamps all the same code but all the eagles are straight apart from the two on hilt which look imperial wings. Why would that be

Hi Stuart..I can understand the Wife / collection issue ...most some of the Gents here are in the same boat including me..that our wives are just " tolerant " of the hobby and artifacts..totally understand......so back to your Eickhorn...since you have already given a great description of detail you need answers for.....Can you take a few pics with your cell phone ...and upload them onto the existing computer your using now?

I practiced this myself....pulling out an edged weapon and snapping a few pics of it and placing it back.

or is your collection buried away that you do not have access to and you have all the pertinent information written down for each edged blade.

Quote by Stuart pinney View Post
    ..... all the eagles are straight apart from the two on hilt which look imperial wings. Why would that be
    Your quote above supports a need for photos in describing position and location. For this forum..I try my best to get new members and enthusiasts to post a few photos ..that will help you and greatly help the collectors give a greater reply.
    Not questioning the issue of money as all theses artifacts are key puzzle pieces and played key roles where ever they served.

Please give it some thought next time you pass by your parents house since you have half the information with you in description..hopefully a few photos which this forum requests to help support any inquiry and the thread itself.

Photos are everything ..please give it some thought for any future threads

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Briefly, as Larry indicated pictures really are a tremendous help in deciphering what it is that a forum member has, and were it fits in. That said, 1938 for most makers seems to be a pivotal year in the transition from the Weimar style markings to the TR era type. Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast