Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unmarked sawback police bayonet

Article about: My youngest son picked this up today at a local pawnshop for \\$20. It looks fine but has no markings anywhere. The three rivets in the handle are a bit strange but I think I recall a discussi

Default Unmarked sawback police bayonet

My youngest son picked this up today at a local pawnshop for $20. It looks fine but has no markings anywhere. The three rivets in the handle are a bit strange but I think I recall a discussion about that being specific to a maker. The red color is the reflection from his shirt. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unmarked sawback police bayonet   Unmarked sawback police bayonet  

Unmarked sawback police bayonet   Unmarked sawback police bayonet  

Unmarked sawback police bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unmarked sawback police bayonet
    P
    Many

Hi Steve I will move this to the K98 forum for the Gents there to take a look at it. Other than the space between the blade shoulders and crossguard..i see no other issues with it. Let the Guys there give you better insight on a producer identity and why there is a space as I pointed out. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice score for $20 ! , it's a keeper .

Wow $20!.....

?

I think the bayonet with three grip attachments are WWI or Weimer. I don't belive the Police used sawbacks except for Fire Police. I picked one like this about 5-6 years ago in a little better condition for $125 and I considered that a bargin, so $20 is like stealing.

any thoughts on the blade shoulder gap ?
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Does the blade have some "wiggle" to it? That would help to explain the gap at the crossguard as the blade is held to the hilt by just a single rivet. Being a three rivet grip would indicate it being made during the imperial period, or very early in the Weimar era. Also short, sawback bladed KS98's are almost nonexistent during the Weimar and Nazi era's.

What a sweet find for $20!

Jim

- - ------- - -

Forgot to add that the grips should be made of wood.

Jim

Agree with all nice hard to find original three rivet sawback WW1 era KS98 good price too. As Jim stated blade gap could be from loose tang inside grip also piece is missing a leather buffer pad that would help to hide the feature read a article I think on old SMitty's bayonet site once as I had several loose blades to flush with alachol let dry and pour a small quanity of thin super glue down inside it worked for two of mine and there was no more wiggle. timothy

The blade and grips are rock solid with no movement at all. We thought the gap might be there as a result of a missing fabric or leather buffer pad. Thanks for the response it is appreciated.

Steve

Quote by No1canuck View Post
    The blade and grips are rock solid with no movement at all. We thought the gap might be there as a result of a missing fabric or leather buffer pad. Thanks for the response it is appreciated.

Steve
    That's good news. timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast