Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet

Article about: Picked this up with some other bayonet , from the Gold Wash look like it could have been a Navy issue bayonet ,I had one some years ago the same that came in with other Kriegsmarine items bu

Default Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet

Picked this up with some other bayonet , from the Gold Wash look like it could have been a Navy issue bayonet but doesnt have the normal N as part of the serial number ,I had one some years ago the same that came in with other Kriegsmarine items but cant find a lot of info on these Gold washed bayonets
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet   Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet  

Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet   Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet  

Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet   Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Whats looks to be a Kriegsmarine issue k98 Bayonet
    P
    Many

Hi Krad
    Gold wash or Nicotine ..the Bayo Gents will decide.

Nice matching numbers by the way

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry
    thank you for your reply , from the wear looks to be a Gold wash finish ,
    regards Ian

Hello,

a gold washed look has nothing to do with the Kriegsmarine.
    The S84 / 98 were burnished. The only distinguishing feature was the uniform stamp of the Kriegsmarine.

This color probably comes from nicotine, old Grease - most likely, however, is an aged clear coat -.

There were definitely no golden bayonets in the Kriegsmarine.

Regards

The "gold wash " looks like old varnish/lacquer to me, definitely a post war enhancement. But it is a matching number Horster from late 1930's, there will be a year number on spine near crossguard. Should be in 37-39 range. Not much sign of bluing on blade, perhaps polished off by the varnisher. Scabbard suffered a bit in storage.

?

I'm not seeing anything that would point to it being a Kriegsmarine bayonet.
    Am I missing something?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Ok thank you all , i only asked as a had one before that had the same Gold looking wash with the N as part of the serial number ,will have to try to remove the varnish/lacquer

Dos
    ?

Kradman, I would leave the bayonet as it is now. The old varnish did not help in protecting the bayonet back then and till now, but removing it now will only devalue it more. The risk of damaging it in this progress is quite big.

-Dos

Fair point ok will leave as is

?

Its a matching Hoerster 39, no problem with it, i saw many time similar non color laquer added on bayonets it should be removed as this is already not correct surface, should be easier with acetone based liquid or other nitro solution probably wout any damage on remains of blueing under, then clean with alcohol and good oil the metall parts, certainl the scabbard is already rusted, like corectly mentioned old blueing was polished out on blade.