Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why is this Bayonet Nickel Plated?

Article about: I'm a novice, novice in regard to bayonets but, I have this one and it doesn't look like the normal dress bayonet. I was going to see if it was blued under the grips but i cant remove one of

?

Default Why is this Bayonet Nickel Plated?

I'm a novice, novice in regard to bayonets but, I have this one and it doesn't look like the normal dress bayonet. I was going to see if it was blued under the grips but i cant remove one of the screws.
    Any idea about what I have?

Thanks,
    Gale
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Why is this Bayonet Nickel Plated?   Why is this Bayonet Nickel Plated?  

Why is this Bayonet Nickel Plated?   Why is this Bayonet Nickel Plated?  

Why is this Bayonet Nickel Plated?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Why is this Bayonet Nickel Plated?
    P
    Many

K98 bayonet.

That seemed to be a common practice for the GI’s returning home from the war with their souvenirs (War trophies). Nickel plating or chrome plating was the thing... everything from knives to guns and rifles. There’s blue under that nickel/chrome... but I’m sure it’s been ruffed up when they applied that finish.

It still has historical value... but unfortunately, the collector value is gone.

WKC is the maker I believe and manufactured 1942 (CUL42)

Not in hand, I suspect that it might just be (PW) polished down to bare metal. That said, the Spanish contract German manufactured Behörden (service) S.84/98 bayonets had bright polished blades/handles with blued scabbards (but this is not one of them). Best Regards, Fred

Hello,

this is s Seitengewehr 84/98. There was never a "bayonet 98k".

This S84/98 is not nickel plated. The metal parts are simply polished.

Regards

?

42 cul is E.Pack und Soehne, Solingen, not WKC as this maker used script font letters cvl. as mentioned the piece was polished and lost his origin blueing. the scabbard was painted black, the blade was postwar sharpened.

?

Thanks guys, for all of your input. I guess I'll put a sharp edge on it and use it to chop wood around the camp fire.
    Mr.G

That might be an over reaction. It is still a matching number bayonet with correct frog and so has value. Not top value but to an entry level collector quite acceptable.

?

Same opinion, could be still used as a collector piece, because matching condition, anyway the sharpening of blade decrease the value, more as not remains of origin blueing. The frog looks ok.

?

Thanks again guys. I tried to remove the grips and see if there is bluing under them. The problem is the when I try to unscrew the bottom screw the nut spins. I don't want to mess up the screw is there any tricks I can try to remove it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast