Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Identification for German WWI Sword

Article about: I'm not to big into edged weapons as I mostly deal with Helmets and Ordinance and I have a sword in my possession and cannot track down it's origins. I only managed to find 2 swords that mat

Default Identification for German WWI Sword

I'm not to big into edged weapons as I mostly deal with Helmets and Ordinance and I have a sword in my possession and cannot track down it's origins. I only managed to find 2 swords that match this exact one and so the only information I have is a bit scrappy and from what I can gather it is most likely German manufacture either pre WWI or WWI and that they may have been used by the Spanish (I'm not really sure about that second part) So if anyone can tell me what it is, who used it, when it was used, and what it is worth I would greatly appreciate it.

Identification for German WWI SwordIdentification for German WWI SwordIdentification for German WWI SwordIdentification for German WWI SwordIdentification for German WWI SwordIdentification for German WWI Sword

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Identification for German WWI Sword
    P
    Many

?

No appraisal from here, but, this is one of the well-known so-called "Machetes Reglamentarios" for the Spanish Infantry officers in Cuba, prior to 1898, of course. There was no official regulation about them, but they were a de-facto pattern chosen by many officers, instead of the compulsory M1887 sabre, considered too light to be of real use. They were usually produced in Germany, Ferdinand ("Fernando") Esser being only one of several makers. Being non-regulation weapons, the Toledo Factory decided not to produce them. There were a few variations as well..
    Info Credit: Sword Forum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification for German WWI Sword  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

That's right. But a version was also made by Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie. Not sure if it was unique to Cuba, WK & C marketed to all of South America. I have drawing of one of these in my W K & C catalogue from 1893, which I will add to my post later. A portapee was attached to the beak of the hilt.

Here's the model the OP's example is based on, W K & C catalogue of 1893. Note model 877

Identification for German WWI SwordIdentification for German WWI Sword