Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Vietnam M1 Helmet restoration

Article about: Hi, I have a number of Original M1 Helmets with post 1964 Liners - asterix type webbing and three point nape strap with buckles adjustment. Can anyone help with locating a supplier of the th

Default Vietnam M1 Helmet restoration

Hi,

I have a number of Original M1 Helmets with post 1964 Liners - asterix type webbing and three point nape strap with buckles adjustment.

Can anyone help with locating a supplier of the three point nape strap buckles (Post 1964 M1 Helmet Liner) ?
    the Nape Straps are easy to find - either reproduction or old stock originals but the buckles to adjust the nape are not.

Greatly appreciate any help or advice given.

Have attached pictures of the Nape Strap Buckles from a liner - my Liner is a repro green plastic which I am using for practice before restoring the original liner which I bought in 1980 which has "17 Dec 1965" printed on the liner webbing.

Thank you.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Vietnam M1 Helmet restoration
    P
    Many

Quote by Conradvfr750 View Post
    Hi,

I have a number of Original M1 Helmets with post 1964 Liners - asterix type webbing and three point nape strap with buckles adjustment.

Can anyone help with locating a supplier of the three point nape strap buckles (Post 1964 M1 Helmet Liner) ?
    the Nape Straps are easy to find - either reproduction or old stock originals but the buckles to adjust the nape are not.

Greatly appreciate any help or advice given.

Have attached pictures of the Nape Strap Buckles from a liner - my Liner is a repro green plastic which I am using for practice before restoring the original liner which I bought in 1980 which has "17 Dec 1965" printed on the liner webbing.

Thank you.
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

This is the new users section of the forum so your photos can't be seen by all members. I think the link below would be the best place to start a new thread so members can help out.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/us-m1...-helmet-forum/

I must say your restoration project sounds interesting.

Kind regards,

Will.

Default Nape Strap Buckles - Request for Help.

Hi Will,

Thank you for the link - I have followed the link and posted a new message under "Need Help!"

Much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Conrad.

Smile Introduction

Hi everyone,

My name is Conrad, and I have been interersted in Military items - especially American M1 Helmets - for many years.
    The first Military item I bought was from a Military Fair in Cornwall in 1980, while a Teenager visiting an old school friend who moved away from Surrey to St Ives, with his father. I was staying with my Parents who were on a Caravan site near where my friend lived.

When venturing into town by myself on my bicycle - which my parents had kindly brought down for me, I visited a Military Fair - which for me was the most interesting store in the whole area, as there may be items like deactivated WWII Machine guns or Pistols for sale - there weren't but there were other items which caught my eye. Two of which were M1 Helmets - one had the classic Vietnam style camo cover (Mitchell Camouflage Cover) and a light'ish olive colour paint on the helmet shell, and another Helmet which had a much darker paint which seemed more like a WWII Helmet. I regret that I sold the WWII Helmet - which I remember only was a shell without it's Liner.

My main focus at the moment is to restore the original Helmet I bought from Cornwall in 1980, which has been siotting on the top of a cupboard for years, gathering dust. After seeing a video about Vietnam era Helmets, I chose to have another look at it and noticed things I hadn't notived when I bought it all those years ago - one being the date of "17-Dec-65" which the date on the Camoflauge Cover 1974. The ID number on the steel shell of "M - 236 A" which I believe makes it a McCord Helmet. The Liner has a "w" with underbar and a "105" stamped underneath - Westinghouse. I've since purchased Ingersoll helemt and a Parish.

My original M1 Helmet was missing the camo elastic band and the liner webbing sweatband - which fits over the webbing. It also is missing a rivet at the front and the webbing is torn - which is what I hope to repair after converting a Repro-WWII M1 Helmet to a Post-1964 style Type I Infantry Helmet.

I look forward to learning more about this fascinating hobby - which gives us a physical link, to historical event of the not so distant past.

Regards,

Conrad
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by Conradvfr750; 09-24-2023 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Forgot to add images

Hello Conrad.

This is the new users section of the forum so your photos can't be seen by forum members.

As you did with your thread about finding M1 Helmet Liner Nape strap buckles, please start a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

Kind regards,

Will.