Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Guntai-Techo (Passbook) Translation request

Article about: Hello all, Picked this up recently for a pretty good price and am wondering what it says. These are the only 2 pages with writing, everything else is blank, If anyone could translate it I'd

Default Guntai-Techo (Passbook) Translation request

Hello all, Picked this up recently for a pretty good price and am wondering what it says. These are the only 2 pages with writing, everything else is blank, If anyone could translate it I'd appreciate it, Thanks!

?

Here are a few highlights from the booklet:
    The infantryman (name escapes me, maybe Guy, others can help with this), born in 1915, and from Kanagawa Prefecture, was a Private, 2nd class, with East 62 Unit, Tokyo Divisional District, Yokohama Regimental District. It looks like he might have had a specialty in communications, which was crossed out and the kanji for use with regimental (guns) was added. Imo, I think the comm. entry was an initial mistake due to the similarity in the two kanji.

The few lines within the personal history section don't have a ton. He was initially admitted to the National Army on December 1, 1935, which roughly means he could have been called up in an emergency. 9 years later, in 1944 (June 15), he was called up to the 1st Company of East 62, and a month later, in July (18th), he departed for encampment with the Burma Replacement HQ. Unfortunately, more than one unit used the home designation of E62, so I can't pin down without a doubt which unit he was with.

I imagine this booklet is a replacement due to the lack of extensive entries/stamps. I would think there would have at least been a few reservist rollcall stamps or similar between '35 and '44 entries.

Hopefully others have further information on this booklet.

Tom

Looks like his name is

原 尭治
    Hara Akiharu
    • Given name can also be pronounced:
      Takaharu; Takaji; and Gyouji

I’m not certain about 尭 because the way it is written looks like three 七s stacked; but that is what I could find.

— Guy

Both of you Have my gratitude, So much Japanese militaria is just an item that could have been used almost anywhere by anyone, not a lot of "personal" connections in the hobby, I've found. thanks again! I'll be sure to copy what's written here and keep it with the book.