Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster

Article about: Any information to help me put a year on this bayonet I inherited.

?

After a bit more cleaning I have found it is 39!K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster

Would those be additional inscriptions on the flat part or just indentations from manufacture?

Does anyone know who would have been issued the canvas frog? A particular regiment?

Thanks for all the help so far. I am very new to this topic.

My grandfather served in the Dental Corps in WWII in Papua New Guinea and it was suggested that it may have been swapped around there. Does that sound likely or is it a dead end?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster
    P
    Many

Quote by JCW72 View Post
    After a bit more cleaning I have found it is 39!K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster

Would those be additional inscriptions on the flat part or just indentations from manufacture?

Does anyone know who would have been issued the canvas frog? A particular regiment?

Thanks for all the help so far. I am very new to this topic.

My grandfather served in the Dental Corps in WWII in Papua New Guinea and it was suggested that it may have been swapped around there. Does that sound likely or is it a dead end?
    Inspected by the Army, the Germans as a standard practice dated their Wehrmacht issue bayonets depending on the time period either on the backs of the blades or the sides. This style of the frog originally issued for North Africa and/or Southern Europe, some can be identified such as the blue ones for the Luftwaffe. South Pacific - NO chance IMO. Traded later on back in the U.S. between veterans of the South Pacific and the European Theater of Operations, a possibility. Best Regards, Fred

?

The best way is a cleaning as here so 1939 production year, both years 1938 and 1939 had m range reported so the deciphering is hard when not have exact details, the scabbard when not serialed with could be missmatch or a spare replacement scabbard. Frog has not significance only that is was used in Southern area as mentioned by FP, the possibility of using similar pieces in Pacific area is unreal. Could be switched in US postwar.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2