Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster

Article about: Any information to help me put a year on this bayonet I inherited.

?

Default K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster

Any information to help me put a year on this bayonet I inherited.

I have inherited a e.u.f horster German bayonet, complete with scabbard and canvas frog and wanting to get as much information to date it. It is marked with an 'm' under the serial number. I can't read the number on the flat part of the blade and there doesn't seem to be a serial number on the scabbard. It is well worn especially the canvas frog.
    What can I use to clean up the scabbard which has a few rusty bits?

Sorry that should have been E.u.f horsterK98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horsterK98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster
    Last edited by JCW72; 11-04-2023 at 01:55 AM. Reason: Correction and adding photo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster
    P
    Many

Take some pics of the markings on the bayonet. The date could be on the top of the spine near the crossguard.
    John

?

Yes last 2 digits of date should be on spine of blade near crossguard, web frog is little damaged as the knob on secure strap was lost in time. When matching number with scabbard so its a good find, should be oiled and removed the old vaseline from blade gently.

?

Default New photo of possible date

K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster

Is this a 36 or a 38? Or something else?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture K98? Bayonet, scabbard and canvas frog e.I.f horster  

Tough to say from the pic. Probably a 38. Clean with nylon brush and look at it with a loop. In hand would be easier to see. Is the scabbard matching number to the bayonet?
    John

?

It cannot be 1936 as in that year Hörster was still using the S/155 code and wooden grips. In the course of 1937 they changed to the name in full and bakelite grips. The second digit however is not a 7. This leaves 1938 and 1939 and the second digit probably is an 8. My impression is that it is just dirt and old grease which makes it hard to read. Usually these date marks are clearly stamped, so try to clean it gently.

?

When is matching, so its enough to look on backside of the scabbard, in case its unserialed the scabbard, so it could be help the form of proofs teoretically. i personally tend to 38. It could be 39 too teoretically.

?

I can't see any numbers on the scabbard so was thinking to give it a gentle clean and see if anything reveals itself

An interesting find. The frog is particularly interesting. Be careful if you attempt to remove the frog in cleaning, as fabric may be rotted. Avoid use of abrasive papers, rub in some oil to the steel parts.

Quote by AndyB View Post
    When is matching, so its enough to look on backside of the scabbard, in case its unserialed the scabbard, so it could be help the form of proofs teoretically. i personally tend to 38. It could be 39 too teoretically.
    From what I've seen IMO the Bakelite grips were just barely in 1937, agreeing with Andy that here 1938 is more probable. Best Regards, Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast