Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Rare German ammo box?

Article about: Idk what I have here but it seems to be one of a kind. A history professor said it was legit and he use to use to borrow it and use it for his classes from the owner. That's all I know. It h

?

Default Rare German ammo box?

Idk what I have here but it seems to be one of a kind. A history professor said it was legit and he use to use to borrow it and use it for his classes from the owner. That's all I know. It has DRGM COF 43 engraved or stamled into it. I put a 5.56 in there for size reference and it has maybe 3mm to spare. The leather is in good shape for the age. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Rare German ammo box?   Rare German ammo box?  

Rare German ammo box?   Rare German ammo box?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare German ammo box?
    P
    Many

Hi Joey...good that you are posting....someone will be along shortly who knows these ammo cans and will tell you exactly what you have in detail.
    Hang tight

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you Larry. I am patient. I looked everywhere on the internet and the only thing I can find is that COF may potentially be carl eickhorn markings. Other than that it doesn't look like any ammo box I've ever seen.

Please post overall dimensions of the box. I don’t believe this is an ammo box but then again I’m not expert. But the overall length of a 5.56 is roughly 57-58mm. You say about 3mm to spare putting longest possible cartridge somewhere around 60mm in length. 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser) has an overall length of approximately 82mm making it too long. The 7.92kurz is 48mm making it too short.

If I had to guess I would say some sort box for spare parts or tools but that’s just a guess from me. Looking forward to what the other members can dig up.

Quote by joeyd View Post
    Thank you Larry. I am patient. I looked everywhere on the internet and the only thing I can find is that COF may potentially be carl eickhorn markings. Other than that it doesn't look like any ammo box I've ever seen.
    Hi Joey ...the COF marking is Eickhorns Combat bayonet Manufacturer code as seen in post # 2 of this Reference thread
    S 84/98 Manufacturer Codes (98k bayonet) Quick Reference WWII era

I do not know if the COF is related to this metal type can
    The DRGM marking is a patent number

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Not sure an ammo box. Parts Factory Box? Unsure? I am no expert either. Many of mine are earlier and waffenamt stamped. I have a few and have not seen that bolt closure like on this one in my travels. To protect the identity of arms manufacturers in late war a coding system was devised with each of the 18 manufacturers at this time 1940-1945 getting their own specific letter designations. COF was Carl Eickhorn.

D.R.G.M is Deutsches Reich Gebrauchs Muster. This is a utility model patent for commercially applicable inventions.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

Thank you for the feedback O8SM. The dimensions are H= 5" L=8 15/16ths (just about 9") and the W= 2"1/2 exactly with top open. One of the few bullets I'm thinking could fit in here would be the 7.62X39 which did come out in 1943. Or maybe a slightly smaller bullet that had stripper clips to measure for. Thanks again. I looked for tool/parts boxes from that year/era and still nothing looks like it.
    Last edited by joeyd; 11-20-2023 at 07:44 PM.

?

Thanks Larry. I've did some heavy research on carl eickhorn and the only other thing ive read that he made was silverware, but i also read he made many things out of steel? My only concern is that I've usually seen eickhorns markings in all lowercase letters. These are all capitol. Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking maybe a custom made ammo box from him, or someone, for a 7.62x39 rifleman or post war for personal use?

?

Thanks Rossi. One of the things I thought of was that, the DRGM parent was a 10 year patent, so maybe it is possible that they stamped the end-date for the patent on it?? So maybe it could be 1933?? I'm unsure either. It has been driving me crazy. The guy was an honest guy that had a whole bunch of WW2 collectables, he said it is an early ammo box and that you're not going to find them/see them around often if not at all. He said a history professor would borrow it for his classes every so often. Thanks for the reply.

?

Quote by joeyd View Post
    Thanks Rossi. One of the things I thought of was that, the DRGM parent was a 10 year patent, so maybe it is possible that they stamped the end-date for the patent on it?? So maybe it could be 1933?? I'm unsure either. It has been driving me crazy. The guy was an honest guy that had a whole bunch of WW2 collectables, he said it is an early ammo box and that you're not going to find them/see them around often if not at all. He said a history professor would borrow it for his classes every so often. Thanks for the reply.
    Joey,

My buddy sent me these photos. He has no markings on his box but feels his is a spare parts box and not Ammo. His has no straps or closures. Not sure this helps much. The paint scheme is similar as a blueish green. Are the leather straps marked with maker or date? Can you take some more close ups of buckles, hinges and closures?

Rare German ammo box?

Rare German ammo box?

Rare German ammo box?
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast