Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

US M1-C with stencilled name

Article about: Hi all, I've had this helmet for a good 20 years now, but never really dug deep on its origin (bought on ebay US in 2001). It's just a normal Paratrooper M1-C, post 1944 production McCord sh

Default US M1-C with stencilled name

Hi all, I've had this helmet for a good 20 years now, but never really dug deep on its origin (bought on ebay US in 2001).
    It's just a normal Paratrooper M1-C, post 1944 production McCord shell, repainted with time and paired to a post 1955 liner (no front eyelet).

My question to the experts out there is: Why stencil your name OUTSIDE the shell? I've seen it written in many ways inside, or on the liner, but outside, back and rear must have quick ID purposes. This, again, would make more sense with a rank or a function rather than a name, so I am thinking this could be airborne school, though I've only (I think) seen numbers (stencilled or written on tape) and never names.

Any ideas or other examples?
    Cheers
    Michele

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement US M1-C with stencilled name
    P
    Many

Maybe jump master at a training school? only a guess.

Anything could be, it makes sense, though I would expect an indication of rank as well?
    Many thanks
    Michele

Hello.

We would need more information for a rough chronology.
    Are there stamps on the sweatband and neckband?
    What heatstamp does the shell have?

Regard

Hi @sleepwalker, I am not after a rough chronology, which I have no trouble with, I am curious about why there is a stencilled name front and back of this helmet and not just a number or a rank (or other insignia). I am guessing this could have been used at a jump school, but I was looking for some evidence that this was a common practice and so far I have not found any.
    Anyway, to reply to your question, the shell is stamped 79B, but this helmet has been surely repainted (and possibly partially refurbished). The liner (which as with any M1, is not a lifetime-match for the shell) is a Firestone post 1955 production. I have not noted down dates on neck tape nor headband and I don't have this helmet with me to check, but I believe they were all late 1950s. In short, this is a late '50s early '60s configuration.
    Many thanks
    Michele

Hello,

That wasn't common practice either (IMO). But you can always find helmets with names painted on them. Also on infantry helmets.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/186212024740...Bk9SR7awg5mRYw

https://www.ebay.de/itm/185475827306...Bk9SR87MjJmRYw

I'm also not sure whether this necessarily has anything to do with the role of a trainer.

Yes, you can clearly see that the shell was given a new look in OD #7 in the 1950s. There are no clips on the chin strap?

Regards

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    Hello,

That wasn't common practice either (IMO). But you can always find helmets with names painted on them. Also on infantry helmets.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/186212024740...Bk9SR7awg5mRYw

https://www.ebay.de/itm/185475827306...Bk9SR87MjJmRYw

I'm also not sure whether this necessarily has anything to do with the role of a trainer.

Yes, you can clearly see that the shell was given a new look in OD #7 in the 1950s. There are no clips on the chin strap?

Regards
    Hello Sleepwalker.

Can you please upload the eBay photos to the thread. This is because the links will expire and the photos will be lost.

Kind regards,

Will.

Quote by Sleepwalker View Post
    There are no clips on the chin strap?

Regards
    Hi Sleepwalker, chinstraps have no metal clips, they are just bartacked to the swivel bales.

I've been scouting the web for images, although I have seen the helmets you have pointed out above with stencilled names, at least one of them is a USMC helmet.
    I have found another pic (1950s) where a name on the helmet was actually stencilled on a piece of tape, stuck on the helmet. Also, another photo the back of liners in Parris Island (USMC) in the 1960s, on a piece of tape, in marker pen, but nothing on M1-Cs other than numbers.
    Could the name be a USMC peculiarity?

Many thanks
    Michele