Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?

Article about: Hi everyone, Looking to buy this on. What do you think. Cheers, Paul

Default Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?

Hi everyone,

Looking to buy this on. What do you think.

Cheers,

Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?
    P
    Many

I like it

It's got the look for me. The shades of paint are very similar to my own Mimikry stahlhelm. I see no issues, but the experts will opine. I'd accept it within my own collection.

Hi Paul, looks like an original M16 shell with M17 liner band.There was never an M17 shell as such. Rather, the terminology refers to the steel liner band which was used to replace the original leather liners due to a shortage of materials. Looks like a nice Abnahmekommando (acceptance stamp). I like the overall look of the paint and patina on this example. I think the originality of the inside paint matches the outside well, but something odd (perhaps storage over the years) has affected the outside paint a little bit more or different, to the usual rust bleed. So as to be certain, I would be asking for some hi res images such as the examples below. I don’t have an issue re: no liner. The outside is what we most often look at when on display.Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?

Thanks for the replies. I like the helmet and made a bidding. Problem is that it's an American seller. They are always a little bit scared to ship international. So I try to convince him to sell it anyway.

Do other members experience the same problems with American sellers?? There's a lot of WW1 battlefield pick-uped German helmets out there.....

Cheers,

Paul

I agree, sometimes the angst of international postage is a put off. On top of that the currency exchange rate doesn't work as well for me nowadays. Definitely some nice veteran bring backs on the US side of the pond.

OMG, third time writing this reply! Keeps being deleted when I leave to take a peek at the photos. In short, I agree with BlackCat and think it’s period. Perhaps treated or stored poorly (re: the unusual rust bleed). I think it should display well and will likely look even more impressive if and when you receive it. A great example of an Imperial German camo following the 1918 directive.

Andy

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I like the helmet and made a bidding. Problem is that it's an American seller. They are always a little bit scared to ship international. So I try to convince him to sell it anyway.

Do other members experience the same problems with American sellers?? There's a lot of WW1 battlefield pick-uped German helmets out there.....

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul, I get this all the time. And EBay always says that they won’t ship internationally. However, when I talk to them they say they will ship to Australia. I think it’s something to do with COVID and eBay not shipping to certain destinations. Anyway, I always find most sellers are happy to negotiate when dealing with them one on one. I hope you get this one.

Andy

?

I agree.. it has the looks of what I expect to see in an original example. Very similar to one of mine in fact

Hope it’s good news on this one for you Paul. The colours and design remind me a little of this one that was my first camo and found on eBay.
    Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?Mimikri M17 helmet - legit or not?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast