Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

DAF Membership Book

Article about: Hello folks. Got this one in the post this morning. My second DAF membership book. This one appears to be wartime, issued in December 1941 to one Gerthilde Schmidt, born on the 12th October

Default DAF Membership Book

Hello folks.

Got this one in the post this morning. My second DAF membership book.

This one appears to be wartime, issued in December 1941 to one Gerthilde Schmidt, born on the 12th October 1925 in the town of Friedberg, Hessen. This would have meant she was only sixteen at the time the book was issued. She appears to have worked at an Opel car dealership until 1945. This information may very well be wrong, as I still struggle to read sütterlin.

DAF Membership BookDAF Membership BookDAF Membership BookDAF Membership BookDAF Membership BookDAF Membership Book

These are interesting books, and never very expensive. They make a nice compliment to any TR display.

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAF Membership Book
    P
    Many

You're right.

Allow me to add a bit of background: Georg von Opel (1912 - 1971) was the grandson of Adam Opel (1837 - 1895), founder of the Opel Company. (The family was enobled in 1918, which added the "von" to the family name.)

Georg was a well-known and successful entrepeneur, sportsman and sports functionary. He founded his Opel car dealership group in 1936. With most of its shops located in the Rhine-Main area, this was once Germany's second-largest Opel dealership (selling Suzuki, Saab, Cadillac and Chevrolet cars as well). Unfortunately, the company filed for bankruptcy in 2006 and was bought out by the MAG-Metz group in 2008, although the "Georg von Opel" brand name was retained for the remaining shops (20 out of once 26 dealerships were closed).

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    You're right.

Allow me to add a bit of background: Georg von Opel (1912 - 1971) was the grandson of Adam Opel (1837 - 1895), founder of the Opel Company. (The family was enobled in 1918, which added the "von" to the family name.)

Georg was a well-known and successful entrepeneur, sportsman and sports functionary. He founded his Opel car dealership group in 1936. With most of its shops located in the Rhine-Main area, this was once Germany's second-largest Opel dealership (selling Suzuki, Saab, Cadillac and Chevrolet cars as well). Unfortunately, the company filed for bankruptcy in 2006 and was bought out by the MAG-Metz group in 2008, although the "Georg von Opel" brand name was retained for the remaining shops (20 out of once 26 dealerships were closed).
    Thank you for the additional information. Always nice to get a bit of background and context on these documents.

B.B.

Hi,

just saw your post. I live just a few minutes away from Friedberg, went to school there.
    There is still a Opel dealer, but renamed. Thanks for showing!

Greetings

Quote by Wehrwolf9 View Post
    Hi,

just saw your post. I live just a few minutes away from Friedberg, went to school there.
    There is still a Opel dealer, but renamed. Thanks for showing!

Greetings
    I'm glad to know my posts are still of interest to some, even several years later. Many thanks!

B.B.