Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Führerschein - Schützenregiment 104 DAK

Article about: This splendid driver’s license just arrived. Named to Friedrich Giesemann, issued at Stendal, 10th March 1941, certifying him for Class 2 internal combustion engined vehicles. Unfortunatel

?

Default Führerschein - Schützenregiment 104 DAK

This splendid driver’s license just arrived.
    Named to Friedrich Giesemann, issued at Stendal, 10th March 1941, certifying him for Class 2 internal combustion engined vehicles.
    Unfortunately, the holder’s photograph was lost, but a note was made in its place to refer to the holder’s Soldbuch. While the unit details have been well and truly obliterated (probably for security purposes, or reflecting the renaming of the regiment), the document is not de-nazified and was clearly used in this state. However, the Feldpost Nr. remains…

The Dienststelle/Feldpost Nr. 03114 (mobilisiert 1.1.1940) was assigned to:
    Regimentsstab Infanterie-Regiment 104 
(15.9.1940 - 31.1.1941)
    Regimentsstab Schützen-Regiment 104 (15.7.1942 - 24.1.1943)
    Regimentsstab Panzergrenadier-Regiment 104 
(25.1.1943 - 31.7.1943) gestrichen, (Tunis).

Following the surrender of the Afrikakorps, the number was reallocated to:
    Geschütz-Batterie Polizei-Regiment 14 
(24.3.1944-6.11.1944)

9.2.1945 gestrichen.

Note: The dates quoted here, in parentheses, are somewhat confusing to me, with odd gaps, and I do not fully understand their meaning.

The date of issue on this license places Driver Giesemann nicely in line for mobilisation to North Africa, assigned to the Stab/Schützenregiment 104, Panzer Regiment 15.

Unit History in brief:
    Schützen (Rifle) Regiment 104 was formed on November 11, 1940 in Military District XII.
    The regiment, comprising two battalions, was created through the reorganization of Infantry Regiment 104, from its 1st and 2nd battalions, and assigned to the 15th Panzer Division, while, tactically, the regiment was subordinate to Rifle Brigade 15.
    In the spring of 1941, the regiment's column formed the 11th small motor vehicle column of 15. Panzer Division, under Nachschubführer 33, and the regiment was deployed to North Africa.
    The regiment's 1st Battalion arrived in Libya at the end of April 1941 and saw its first action in the Battle of Tobruk. After four days of fighting, the battalion had suffered heavy casualties but was immediately redeployed to the Halfaya Pass. The battalion was surrounded there after the British offensive in November 1941 and surrendered on January 17, 1942.

The 1st Battalion was re-formed on April 17, 1942, and the regiment gained the 8th MG Battalion, which was already fighting in Africa, for its new III. Battalion. On the same day, Kradschütze (Motorcycle Rifle) Battalion 15 was incorporated into the regiment. The regiment had now fully arrived in Africa and was renamed Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 104 on July 5, 1942.
    Schützen-Ersatz (Rifle Replacement) Battalion 104 was responsible for providing replacements for the regiment.

All in all, I’m chuffed to monkeys with this little piece of Afrikakorps history, but will be happy to hear of any further details or corrections.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Führerschein - Schützenregiment 104 DAK   Führerschein - Schützenregiment 104 DAK  

Führerschein - Schützenregiment 104 DAK  
    Last edited by Kohima; 04-05-2024 at 09:44 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Führerschein - Schützenregiment 104 DAK
    P
    Many

Hi theee.

Thanks for sharing an interesting piece.. I checked the Volksbund and Ancestry and there were no 'hits' so it looks like he survived the war.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Ah, that’s good to know!
    Presumably, he went into the bag after one of the surrenders, at Halfaya Pass or Tunis.
    I’ve tried to find PoW records before, but with no luck, unfortunately. I have a battered Luftwaffe Soldbuch for a Nachschub driver, again in North Africa, which is struck through in red pencil across the cover, indicating that he too ended up as a PoW.
    Many thanks for checking your sources for Herr Giesemann, Will.
    Much appreciated, Sir.
    Best regards,
    Rob.

My pleasure Rob.

I wouldn't be sure where to actually look for PoW records to be honest, they would be a great resource for collectors.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

I’ve tried every possible lead I can think of, including the Red Cross, but received no response from them.
    It would certainly be a great resource, as you say!

?

I’ve spent most of this evening trying to find out what types would be classified as a ‘class 2’ vehicle…
    Light car, heavy field car, truck, &c… but with no luck yet.
    Just trying to put a little more flesh on the bones.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    I’ve spent most of this evening trying to find out what types would be classified as a ‘class 2’ vehicle…
    Light car, heavy field car, truck, &c… but with no luck yet.
    Just trying to put a little more flesh on the bones.
    Hi Rob.

Klasse 1 – Motorcycle
    Klasse 2 – Trucks (over 2.5 tonnes)
    Klasse 3 – Cars/Trucks (up to 2.5 tonnes)

Wehrmacht Fuhrerschein (Military driving licence)

Then just for reference -

Gleisk.Pz.Kw. (Gleisketten Panzerkampfwagen) – Tacked Armoured Fighting Vehicles
    Klasse 1 – full track vehicles up to 10 tonnes
    Klasse 2 – full track vehicles up to 30 tonnes
    Klasse 3 – full track vehicles up to 60 tonnes

gl.Kfz (geländegängige kraftfahrzeug) – all terrain motor vehicle

Hlbk (Halbkette) – halftrack

gep.Vollk.-Fahrz. (gepanzert Vollkette Fahrzeug) – armoured full tracked vehicle

Verbrennungsmaschine (Internal combustion engine)

1 - Motorcycle
    2 - Car/truck over 3½ ton
    3 - Car/truck less than 3½ ton

Verbrennungsmaschine Klasse 2 für vollkettenkraftfahrzeug (Panzer und Sturmgeschütze)

a - Fully tracked under 15 ton
    b - Fully tracked from 16 to 30 ton
    c - Fully tracked over 30 ton

Verbrennungsmaschine Klasse 3 für Halbkettenfahrzeug (Kettenkrafttrad)

Kind regards,

Will.
    Last edited by Willmore; 04-05-2024 at 11:09 PM.

?

Brilliant! That’s fantastic, Will.
    So, being qualified for Verbrennungsmaschine, Klasse 2 - (I/C, class 2) - he would be driving heavy cars/ trucks over 3.5 tons.
    (I’ve saved a copy of the list, with a view to, perhaps, picking up a few more of these interesting little documents in the future).

To me, this suggests he would be assigned to the regimental column, Nachschubführer 33, which (as I understand it), would be a sub-element of the Regiment-Stab, and thus, shared its Feldpost number.
    I can’t make out enough of the obscured unit details on the license to confirm or disprove this, but a 3.5 ton vehicle would certainly suggest a heavy column vehicle, rather than a dedicated HQ type, which I imagine would not exceed something like an Opel Blitz.

Thank you so much for your very helpful explanation and generous research into this otherwise modest-looking document - the perfect accompaniment to my equally modest Afrikakorps Nachschub collection!
    My very best regards and wishes,
    Rob.

No worries Rob.

From the look of it he would have likely been driving heavy cars/ trucks over 3.5 tons and I would agree he was likely in a Nachschubführer unit.

Below is an interesting website that will show various unit make ups.

Nachschubtruppen (K.St.N) -

Nachschubtruppen

Proof of War Strength = Kriegsstärkenachweisungen (K.St.N.)

K.St.N are tables that show the exact prescribed organisation, composition, armament. During the war, K.St.N is often modified to take account of changes in equipment and tactics. A K.St.N is a chart which shows the theoretical organisation and composition of a certain unit. K.St.N were often changed during the war due to reorganisation of higher level units like regiments or departments. The K.St.N gives the exact number of men, their Stellengruppe, their position, task in the unit and the armament. The type of vehicles, trailers etc.

Here are some specs for the Opel Blitz -

OPEL Trucks

I am glad to help and thank you for sharing this with us.

Kind regards,

Will.

Nice, I've seen a few of these, but for the Russian front.