Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Headed to Germany in December.....

Article about: Not yet, I have not been able to find any traces of the family.

?

Default Headed to Germany in December.....

I have a captured Soldbuch I inherited from a great uncle who fought for the 99th infantry. I was wondering if I would have any issues with German customs if they found it?

Is there any place I can go near Munich to conduct any research to see if this person survived the conflict? My wife and I have debated for years whether we should attempt to find the owner or his family to return the book. My great uncle was an "old man" when he entered service, he passed away before I really knew him or ever spoke to him. Not unlike many, he never really shared too many of his experiences with anyone. Pity, knowing what I know now, I would have loved to sit down with him and just talk.

All the best......any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Headed to Germany in December.....   Headed to Germany in December.....  

Headed to Germany in December.....   Headed to Germany in December.....  

Last edited by DHol; 11-21-2010 at 01:06 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Headed to Germany in December.....
    P
    Many

Default Re: Headed to Germany in December.....

You should post some pictures of the Soldbuch, we might be able to help you, i think the best thing to do is to return it to his family/the veteran himself. I have 3 theories about how your great uncle might have gotten that soldbuch, he could have taken it off a KIA german soldier/a pow or he found it somewhere.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Judging from the pictures, i would say he was a member of a military orchestra(You can tell by the wings on his shoulders) And on his shoulder tab is the number "47", could have been that he was attached to the 47 infantry? His name is Martin(?) May...(Can't make out the rest).
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

Nobody else?
    Best Regards

Vegard T.

German customs may take issue with it as it displays the swastika. Personally I would leave it at home. While a noble gesture on your part, most German family's today don't want any reminders of wartime service.

Vegar is correct in his thoughts.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    German customs may take issue with it as it displays the swastika. Personally I would leave it at home.
    Cheers, Ade.
    The law in Germany is quite explicit. No swastika can be displayed. This means that swastikas are usually allowed if they are "covered up" and cannot be seen. If you placed the item inside a non-transparent plastic bag and carried it zipped up in a pocket, you should be OK. However, silly as it sounds, if they ask you to empty your pockets (very unlikely) and take out the item in the bag on arrival, it immediately falls within the terms of "displayed" if anyone can see it. They can then seize it. A friend of mine bought a metal swastika flag top in Germany and placed it in his hand luggage to bring it home. Naturally it showed up on the x-ray machine and the authorities seized it because it was considered as "displayed" on the x-ray machine screen! He did eventually get it back (after 6 months) following numerous letters to the German embassy in London, but it was touch and go. You should be OK going into Germany as it's doubtful they'll search you or x-ray you on arrival. You might want to place a sticky label over the eagle and swastika, but this has obvious disadvantages for the preservation of the piece.
    Woske.

?

To all thank you for the advice, I think I will still bring it and use a sticky on the cover and where swastikas are displayed.

Using a magnifying glass, Martin's last name is Meybohm; he was married to Annita Meybohm (maiden name Lemcke). I think she resided with Martin's parents during the war in Hamburg-Hausbruch (SW corner of Hamburg).

I have contacted (via e-mail) Hausbruch's central registry to inquire about the Meybohms. My fear is so many were killed during the fire bombings, I have no idea if she survived. He did go home on leave in 1943, so there might be a chance.

Hopefully we will find out, but I believe I am ready to return this to his family.

Not sure if you still use the forum DHol, but did you inherit any items from your uncle that were his / 99th infantry related.

?

AmericanKraut,
    I did receive quite a few things from the 99th. Mostly photos, so action shots, one of Patton, a book that highlights the 99th's track throughout Europe. My great uncle's name was Auther Holland; he was 36 when drafted and left for Boot Camp the first week of June 1944.

Fred Green
    ?

Hello,

The bigger question is "Did you return the soldbuch to the family?"

Fred

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast