Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Help with entries in a SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch

Article about: Hi folks, I have recently bought a soldbuch to what looks like Oberscharfuhrer Wilhelm Spreuger (a standard Heer soldbuch, not an SS one) who served with VT regiment Germania, the SS- Gebirg

Hi Russ.

I have checked and he doesn't have a casualty card unfortunately.

From mid 1944 onwards the amount of casualty cards available seems to drop off significantly.

Kind regards,

Will.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with entries in a  SS- Gebirgsjager Regiment Soldbuch
    P
    Many

?

Thanks for the quick reply Will,

Googling the town 'boppard-buchholz' it seems that there was fighting in that area with the Americans during March 1945.

I would like to find out if he has a marked grave....

Thanks again,

Russ

Quote by russg View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply Will,

Googling the town 'boppard-buchholz' it seems that there was fighting in that area with the Americans during March 1945.

I would like to find out if he has a marked grave....

Thanks again,

Russ
    As there doesn't appear to be a grave marker reference on the VDK page for Oberscharführer Sprenger I guess his remains could be in an ossuary. On the site underneath his details you will see a link named Grabschmuck & Fotowunsch - you can request a photo of the grave marker, for a fee and they will contact you. It can take some time. I'm waiting for one myself.

Hi Russ.

Very interesting. I had a look and found a few links.

The first two links concern the battles around boppard-buchholz (there are pictures of the 6th SS memorial and the Pfaffenheck cemetery).

Visiting the locations of the Pfaffenheck-Battle -
    Visiting the locations of the Pfaffenheck-Battle

6th SS Gebirgsjäger Division Nord memorial and resting place Pfaffenheck – Germany -
    6th SS Gebirgsjager Division Nord memorial and resting place Pfaffenheck – Germany | LandmarkScout

Time line of the 6th SS -

March 1945: Division transferred to Saar-Moselle triangle. Defensive combat against elements of US Third Army.
    March 16: Combat Pfaffenheck and Buchholz against a company from the US 90th Division and a platoon from the US 712th Tank Battalion.
    6th SS Mountain Division Nord

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Willmore, Blackcat1982

Thank you both very much for your input and experience!

It never fails to amaze me how interesting this hobby can be, and how you can re-visit a soldbuch and realise how much more of the soldiers story can be discovered! And all because I initially mis-interpreted his name!!

Regards,

Russ

The signature at the bottom of page 15 (and elsewhere) is that of August Nickel who was the Musikführer in 6.SS-Division 'Nord'.

Here are some details about him (at the top of the linked page is another link to a section on Musikzug der 6.SS-Gebirgs-Division 'Nord' which has some photos.)

August Nickel (1912-1963) - Axis History Forum

?

Thank you hucks216

Great info and much appreciated!

Russ

As well as Black Edelweiss, the book 'Seven Days in January' covers the Nord Division during Operation Nordwind in January 1945.

?

Thanks again hucks216,

That is a must get book! One aspect of this hobby for me is to be able to read around the subject.

Thanks again,

Russ

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3