Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

normandy or not ?

Article about: greetings could anyone assist me with this potential normandy soldbuch , the question is , was this soldier with 922 on dday and then escape before the regiments destruction thanks

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Interesting Soldbuch cobbler32. I can't distinguish where you are getting the references to his fate in 1945. Certainly he doesn't appear as a loss on the VDK database but I can't read the unit he was in during April 1945. Thanks for posting.
    normandy or not ?normandy or not ?normandy or not ?

should have included these sorry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement normandy or not ?
    P
    Many

A little more from what I see. His home location after release from 5 years of captivity in Poland is Weissee in Bavaria. Interestingly the 243rd Infantry Division were originally raised in N.E. Austria in September 1943. As you know it then went to Brittany in October 1943 but was far from up to complete strength even as D-Day approached. One regiment being equipped with Horse drawn vehicles, another with bicycles! The third being motorised but not fully formed.

From D-day onwards the 243rd was in continued combat within the Contentin peninsula losing its commander Lt General Heinz Hellmich on June 16th in an air attack. By June 20th the 243rd was only a Kampfgruppe sized formation before being all but completely destroyed in the battle of. Cherbourg.

Those remnants of the Division that did manage to escape the cauldron to the South joined the rest of Army Group B and continued to fight the Americans around St Lô. Later it was combined with remains of the 91 Luftlande Division under Col. Bernhard Klosterkemper, fighting in the Western Contentin.

At the end of August 1944, the survivors of the 243 Division were redeployed to the Somme, St Quentin area to rest. Here the Division was disbanded and the resources deployed to other commands.

Are there any entries on pages 12 or 13? Injuries or hospitalisation records?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2