MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.

Article about: I don’t often create threads for a Wehrpaß or Soldbuch. Quite honestly, some forum members do such an outstanding job when they post one of theirs that the time and effort I’d have to e

TWS
    ?

Default Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.

I don’t often create threads for a Wehrpaß or Soldbuch. Quite honestly, some forum members do such an outstanding job when they post one of theirs that the time and effort I’d have to expend to even come close to the bar they set is a bit daunting. So… I avoid doing it.

However, I’ve managed the time and motivation to post what I think is a sad and compelling Wehrpaß and document grouping. The Wehrpaß is a “Zweitschrift” or a replacement copy and is in excellent condition. Heinrich Paul was born on 30 December 1916 in Linnenkamp, a village not far from Holzminden in Niedersachsen. His father’s name was also Heinrich and his mother Emma with a maiden name of Engelbrecht. His wife’s name was Edith and her maiden name was Meyer. He was first mustered and underwent a medical exam on 29 May 1936 and was found to be suitable for military service. He continued with his civilian employment at the Gipswerke (plaster factory) in nearby Stadtoldendorf. He was mustered again on 23 July 1938. Shortly afterwards he entered active Heer service on 14 November 1938 and swore his oath on 26 November 1938. He was assigned to 3. (mot) Kompanie of Pionier-Bataillon 19 in Holzminden. This was part of the 19. Infanterie-Division and Paul took part in the Invasions of both Poland and Belgium/France. At the end of September, 1940 the division was sent back to its home garrison from France. On the 1st of November, 1940 the division was reorganized as the 19. Panzer-Division.

What came next you can probably guess: Unternehmen Barbarossa. 19. Panzer-Division was part of Panzergruppe 3 in Army Group Center. Being in 19. PD Paul had a very extensive campaign record as you can imagine (see photo) to include Typhoon, the attack on Moscow. Paul was awarded the EK2 on Christmas day, 1941, with the Sturmabzeichen following less than a month later on 22 January 1942.

Paul was wounded on 9 February 1942 with grenade or shell splinters in his right hand and right hip. He spent time in the hospital and in the convalescent unit and later the training unit in Holzminden. His wife must have been able to visit – more on that later. Meanwhile his unit was designated Panzer-Pionier Bataillon 19. He eventually was sent to a Marschkompanie to transit back to his unit at the front from 17 January to 9 February 1943 which was essentially the time required to travel all the way back to his unit. He was assigned right back to his old unit (3. Kompanie) the next day. On 1 April 1943, Paul received his last promotion, to Unteroffizier.

“Lucky” for him, his division was part of III Panzer-Korps and took part in the Kursk offensive (Zitadelle). Paul survived Zitadelle but the 19. Panzer-Division was nearly encircled during the Red Army counter-offensive. In the desperate struggle of his division to free itself, Paul was killed in action. On the 7th of August, he was in a truck at the Northeast exit to the village of Graiworon (German spelling) when it was taken under fire. Paul was shot and the truck burst into flames, essentially incinerating him. His casualty card basically says burial was not carried out due to the circumstances. One of his comrades drew a sketch of the action that resulted in his death that was sent home along with his Wehrpaß. Remarkably, the sketch of the town is very accurate. The 19. PD did successfully withdraw in a nighttime maneuver and avoid encirclement on 10 August, but they did it without Heinrich Paul. Tragically, his wife was pregnant at the time of his death. She gave birth to a baby daughter, Ingelore, on 25 September. She was awarded a death benefit of 600 RM from the Wehrmacht and child support of 10 RM/month from the Holzminden tax office. The story of the Paul family is tragic, and sadly just one of millions of such stories on both the Axis and Allied sides.

Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

Maps, payments to his widow, and casualty card:

Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.Panzer-Pionier Wehrpaß. KIA.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thank you Todd for posting this group. The passage of time does not lessen the tragedy of this loss, and perhaps in current circumstances makes it possible to feel empathy and humanity to one of millions of sad stories that took place in another war in another century.

Really nice and touching group, I can only echo what BlackCat said. I find the sketch practically interesting and as you say, it is very accurate. I had a look on google maps and it could be the case that he is still there and now rests in someone's garden

TWS
    ?

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment gentlemen. It's takes some time to write up a thread like this, so I appreciate it.

Yes, it's sad to hold the Wehrpaß and see the transmittal slip that it was sent back to his widow with. One can imagine her grief when she held it and had to take it with her to various official offices.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

An excellent story Todd, I liked it a lot. Thanks for telling us. Some very interesting documents that illustrate the narrative. The sketch of the place where the protagonist fell and burned, made by a comrade, is a very very interesting document.

Regards
    Santi

TWS
    ?

Quote by TABSTABS1964 View Post
    An excellent story Todd, I liked it a lot. Thanks for telling us. Some very interesting documents that illustrate the narrative. The sketch of the place where the protagonist fell and burned, made by a comrade, is a very very interesting document.

Regards
    Santi
    Thanks Santi. Yes, the hand-drawn map is the only one of its type in my collection. I was also surprised that it disclosed that he was burned (verbrannt).

I have a number of letters of condolence to next of kin from commanders, even one from a lowly squad leader, in my collection. When I read them I bear in mind that they were often "sanitized" so as not to add to the grief and suffering of the family. Meaning that gruesome or slow deaths were often concealed and the commander either reports that the soldier "died quickly" or just mentions that they fell bravely in battle with few details. So, not only is the map a rarity to me, but also mentioning that he burned.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

I have another item inbound whereby I know the exact fate of the KIA soldier it belonged to. It made me think of Heinrich Paul and my Joachim Tiesler grouping.

I'm again struck by the fact that Heinrich Paul's wife was pregnant at the time of his death. Not unique in wartime, but extremely tragic nonetheless.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."