MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Soldbuch - 11th Infantry Division

Article about: I picked up this Soldbuch recently...I like collecting documents and my first wehrpass posting went so well..... I would like to share the information I have gathered from the document and h

Default Soldbuch - 11th Infantry Division

I picked up this Soldbuch recently...I like collecting documents and my first wehrpass posting went so well.....

I would like to share the information I have gathered from the document and hope that additional info may be gleaned from the community

brief details
    * Jakob Schmelzer born June 11, 1908
    * Soldbuch is dated to April 25, 1940
    * promotions - Oberschutze 12/40, Gefreiter June 1942, Obergefreiter 10 1943

He served in the 11th Infantry division, when active he was in the Aufklarungs-Abteilung 11(Recon) which then became the Fusilier Battalion 11 in late 1944

From what I can tell he served in the following areas during the time-frame of the soldbuch entries..

June 1940 - ~ Nov 1940 * France/Atlantic Coast
    Nov 1940 - June 1941 * East Prussia
    Jun 1941 - Feb 1943 * Wolchow , Lake Ladoga
    Feb 1943 - June 1944 * Leningrad, Narva, Riga
    June 1944 - March 1945 * Courland Pocket

The 11th Infantry spent the entire time after Operation Barbarossa on the eastern front except for a brief RnR period in Greece in 1943...the majority of the unit was evacuated from the Courland Pocket, supposedly prioritized over other units due to their excellent fighting record

Awards -
    Ostmedaille - July 1942
    EK II - Aug 1943
    Wound Badge in Black - March 1944

He was in the Field Lazarette on 3 occasions
    1) Feb 29, 1944 - March 4 1944 * bullet wound (fighting in Pleskau area at the time)
    2) March 26, 1944 - April 25, 1944 * no wound code listed
    3) Feb 2 1945 - Feb 17 1945 * bullet wound ( fighting in Courland pocket at the time)

The book is missing the photo, falling apart and has water damage...no surprise when you see where it has been

the pics

page 1

page 2-3

unit info

Field Hospital details

awards detail and leave pages

additional unit info

last page with final evac(?) leave date granted April 12, 1945 and an addendum noting one day of "close combat" towards the qualification
    Last edited by KatManDude; 05-23-2021 at 04:00 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soldbuch - 11th Infantry Division
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

So much history can be gained from these documents. This soldier certainly was exposure to much combat.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

thanks....that's why I enjoy documents and photos, I get some sort of "connection" with the individual....it amazes me that the soldbuch is still around, considering you had to carry it with you the entire time
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth

Really nice Soldbuch, thank you for sharing it with us.

On the page glued into the rear where he received his close combat day, I’m reading Brückenkopf (Bridgehead) Kirischi

1942/43 - Kirischi bridgehead
    I. Army Corps (Wehrmacht) - zxc.wiki

11.Infanterie Division

5.1942 – 1.1943 : Volkhov – Ladoga
    11.Infanterie-Division - Feldgrau

TWS
    ?

Quote by KatManDude View Post
    thanks....that's why I enjoy documents and photos, I get some sort of "connection" with the individual....it amazes me that the soldbuch is still around, considering you had to carry it with you the entire time
    Agree. I have a few salty Soldbücher that I really like because they were THERE. Unlike a soldier's Wehrpaß that was kept in the company trains, a Soldbuch was carried by the soldier. One of my favorites is to a soldier who was wounded at Stalingrad in October and evacuated out - thus the survival of the Soldbuch. It's a neat feeling to look at it and know it was carried for a couple months in actual combat within Stalingrad.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."