MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

SS Wehrpaß, a quick question

Article about: Hello All. I picked up a Wehrpaß, and had a few questions about a unit and to ask if anyone has a good eye for cursive German. I'll give you my summary (based on seller's info and amateur d

Default SS Wehrpaß, a quick question

Hello All. I picked up a Wehrpaß, and had a few questions about a unit and to ask if anyone has a good eye for cursive German. I'll give you my summary (based on seller's info and amateur detective work) and feel free to add or pick it apart

Looks like it belongs to Alois Ruckerl, who was either drafted or reported for mandatory service 26.7.39. He later volunteers for SS - Deutschland regiment, later moved to SS Aufklarung Abteilung 5 in the 5th Division Wiking, followed by an Ersatz Aufklarung battalion (replacement troops? Trainer?) eventually winding up in Detachment Wesserling ( a group for disabled or severely wounded troops??) followed by some kind of training.. the last entry I can't decipher, I tried to put a good photo but even up close, its difficult to read. The pass is moderately filled out, though there is a lot of unused space.

The most interesting piece I think is a RAD slip that appears to be X'd out due to military service? Just a guess.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Wehrpaß, a quick question   SS Wehrpaß, a quick question  

SS Wehrpaß, a quick question   SS Wehrpaß, a quick question  

SS Wehrpaß, a quick question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Wehrpaß, a quick question
    P
    Many

The last unit entry is R.u.S.Hauptamt-SS - the Race & Resettlement Office. He was badly wounded in December 1942 so never went back to a front line unit again.

Hello brennan.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Page 5 -
    He was a conscript (dienstpflichtiger).

He was wounded (Page 34 - 7.12.1942 - Lungenstecksplitter = Shrapnel splinter stuck in the lung), while serving with 1./SS Aufklärungs Abteilung 5, then spent time in replacement and convalescent units.

Page 12 -
    SS Aufklärungs Ersatz Bataillon = Reconnaissance Replacement Battalion

1.11.43 - 30.6.44 - SS Genesenden Bataillon Wesserling (convalescent Battalion Wesserling)

1.7.44 - 11.10.44 - Berufseinsatzkompanie für Kriegsversehrte der Waffen SS (Professional operational company for disabled soldiers of the Waffen SS)

Page 23 -
    He was awarded the Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42 (Ostmedaille), Panzerkampfabzeichen in bronze (Panzer badge in Bronze), and the Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse (Iron Cross 2nd Class).

SS unit "Wesserling" was situated in the town "Husseren-Wesserling" in annexed Alsace. On 1941, the castle of Wesserling was organised as a home for convalescents. First as Genesungs-Kompanie"
    SS-Gren.Btl. "Wesserling" - Axis History Forum

5. SS-Panzer-Division Wiking -
    5. SS-Panzer-Division Wiking

Thanks hucks and willmore, don't know how you guys read some of that but I appreciate it!!!!

I'm not all too familiar with the Ersatz battalions, I understand that they were basically reserve or backline troops/fresh replacements. I'm going to assume that if this trooper was badly wounded, to the point of having to be retrained, it must have been pretty severe (wood in your lungs most likely would qualify as awful)

No problem brennan.

Here is some information on Ersatz troops (I’m not sure if the SS system was the same as the Heer), so hopefully someone can conform that.
    The German Replacement Army 1939 to 1945

Some information on Genesungs units -
    SS-Genesungs-Truppen (Klagenfurt and Villach) - Axis History Forum

I agree. A piece of shrapnel will do untold damage to a person. He could have lost a lung, had nerve damage etc etc, but the entry is very basic, so we will never know for sure. As hucks pointed out the effects of the wound must have been severe enough to keep him away from front line duties.

On the subject of translating, here is a handy ‘cheat sheet’ of old German script I use.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Wehrpaß, a quick question  

Willmore, can you read whats on the RAD slip in the handwriting? (4th Photo that I posted). From just cursory translation, it has something to do with a promise to serve I am guessing in the RAD (Its noted on the slip) in either 1939 or 1940, but its crossed out with his name/serial number and something I can't decipher

Hello brennan.

Bits are hard to read, but this is what I have come up with -

Rückerl Alois
    Entscheid falgt (possibly - decision is made)
    Straubing

Straubing is an independent city in Lower Bavaria, southern Germany.
    Straubing - Wikipedia

I think the slip of paper relates to the end of his R.A.D service, then on page 6 of the wehrpaß it says -

Angenommen als freiwilliger (accepted as a volunteer) SS-Verfügungstruppe (?)

Hopefully someone can confirm if this is correct (I’m not familiar with the procedures of leaving R.A.D service).

Kind regards,

Will.

Once again Willmore, you rock! I was just googling around, because I also have very limited knowledge of RAD and its operations when it comes to personnel or requirements for service. It appears that RAD service was sometimes required, or at least greatly encouraged before joining up with the SS-Verfügungstruppe , so maybe that slip is merely saying the service is complete and he's free to continue or something of that matter. The RAD section of the Wehrpass is blank unfortunately, so I can't really speak too much on that but an educated guess is all I have.