Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wehrpass - HJ Flakhelper and Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen

Article about: Hello all....I saw a few members post their wehrpass' and since they are one of my favorite things to collect I thought I would share one of mine...i have several but even though there are n

Default Wehrpass - HJ Flakhelper and Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen

Hello all....I saw a few members post their wehrpass' and since they are one of my favorite things to collect I thought I would share one of mine...i have several but even though there are not many entries this one is one of my favorites as it is a little unusual

details

* Fredrich Licht - born December 24 1927 in Berlin Charlottenberg
    * he was a LW Flakhelfer from Feb 15 1943(age 15) to July 31 1944
    * his Wehrpass was issued Jan 24 1944, one month after his 16th birthday and during his Flak service
    * in his photo he is wearing his HJ Flak uniform
    * Jan 15 1945 at age 17 he was assigned to the heavy cruiser Prinz Eugen which left port in Gotenhafen Germany and sailed to the Kalingrad Penisula to shell the Soviets during the retreat from the eastern front. They continued providing fire support in the Samland area and Danzig until exhausting their ammo. The ship then sailed to Copehagen in April 1945 and ultimately surrendered to the Royal Navy on May 7th....finally, it was awarded to the US as a war prize, sailed to the south pacific and sunk in an atomic test

pics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass - HJ Flakhelper and Heavy Cruiser Prinz Eugen
    P
    Many

?

Very nice ! Thank you for sharing it and the history.

Are there are any other entries for his service in 1945 or late 1944 such as a campaign list or training units etc? I have a feeling that entry has nothing to do with the battlecruiser and is either Heer or Luftwaffe related. The '3./' before the Prinz Eugen indicates a Kompanie and while I can't work out what L.N.S is I think the name Prinz Eugen is an honour title and not a ship. Assigning someone to a ship without the necessary Naval training wouldn't make sense.
    LNS - Luftnachrichtenstelle maybe?

I think the reference to Halle may also be a clue as there was a Luftnachrichtenschule based there (LNS).

?

To me, L.N.S. 8 suggests Luft-Nachrichten Schule (air signals school 8), which would make sense for a Luftwaffe Flak helper. I would agree with Hucks216’s thought of the Prinz Eugen being an honour title.

(Just beat me to it, BlackCat)!

Good shout guys. Here you go:

Luftnachrichten-Schule 8

Formed 1942 in Detmold, and moved to Halle in 1944 (Funkmeß). I./Ln.Schule 8 (Fahnenjunker-Prinz Eugen type) and II./Ln.Schule 8 (techn. Offizier und Mannschaften).

Source: Asisbiz history section Luftwaffe Unit Luftflotten-Nachrichtenschule

?

Nice!!

well that's slightly embarrassing but awesome at the same time....all my other ones are regular infantry guys and this one was just different....there was only one other entry of any significance which may add anything to it....I'm glad they didn't ship that youngster off to sea

thanks to all for your insight !.....that's why I like this place

It happens to us all at one time or another in this hobby and that’s how we learn.

The entry says Verwendung im Heimatkriegsgebiet (used in the war effort on the homeland).

That entry just confirms that he was used in the homeland.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast