Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?

Article about: Hi Hucks216, I've found this ref on the net Wylatowo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Cheers, Richard.

Default Wehrpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Campaign Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?

Hi Chaps, I'm trying to 'write up' a recent buy; but have come across a few problems. See the details below with the question marks where I'm stuck. My main problem is that I can't find any record of Panzer Regt. 12. Have I totally misread the entry?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Richard.

Wehrpass To Schütze Ewald Messerschmidt.
    4. Komp. Panzer Regiment 12?.

Born on 28/12/1898 in Carolina, Netzekreis/Schneidemühl, Germany. This area, before 1939, was part of the Reich. It had gradually been settled by ethnic Germans who for several centuries had mixed with the local Poles. In 1938 it became part of the new Regierungsbezirk Grenzmark Posen-Westpreussen, the governorate of Grenzmark Posen-West Prussia. After the Potsdam Conference of 1945 it became part of Poland and the city was renamed Piła. The remaining local German population was expelled by Polish and Soviet troops from 1945 to 1948. Ewald was single, Evangelical????? and a ?????? in civilian life.

Ewald had served in WW1 with Pommersches Jäger Batallion Nr. 2 (Culm) from 22/02/1918 to 04/03/1919. This Wehrpass was issued on 28/08/1937; but Ewald had served with ???? Hammerstein from 02/05/1937 to 13/05/1937. He saw some service with 4. ?????? from 28/01/1938 to 08/02/1938 before going on active service with 4. Komp. Panzer Regt. 12? on 25/08/1939. Ewald took part of the invasion of Poland that started on 01/09/1939. He was Killed in Action nine days later on 10/09/1939 at Wylatowo were the Germans met stiff Polish resistance.

German War Graves Details.

Zum Gedenken E4022868
    Nachname: Messerschmidt
    Vorname: Ewald
    Dienstgrad: Schütze
    Geburtsdatum: 28.12.1898
    Geburtsort: Carolina
    Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 10.09.1939
    Todes-/Vermisstenort: bei Wylatowo

Ewald Messerschmidt wurde noch nicht auf einen vom Volksbund errichteten Soldatenfriedhof überführt oder konnte im Rahmen unserer Umbettungsarbeiten nicht geborgen werden. Nach den uns vorliegenden Informationen befindet sich sein Grab derzeit noch an folgendem Ort:

Trzemeszno - Polen

Translation Below: -

In Memory

E4022868
    Name: Messerschmidt
    First name: Ewald
    Date of birth: 12/28/1898
    Birthplace: Carolina
    Date Died: 09/10/1939
    Where Died: at Wylatowo

Ewald Messerschmidt has not yet been transferred to a military cemetery established by the National Association or could not be recovered as part of our reburial work. According to the information available to us his grave is still at the following location:

Trzemeszno - Poland
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?   Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?  

Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?   Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?  

Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?   Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?  

Last edited by DUJAILAH; 01-10-2011 at 12:33 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wehrpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Campaign Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    My main problem is that I can't find any record of Panzer Regt. 12. Have I totally misread the entry?
    Yes, actually, it says "Grenzwacht-Regiment 12", a short-lived formation raised on 26 August 1939 and disbanded again in the autumn 1939.

I've filled in the blanks:

Ewald had served in WW1 with Pommersches Jäger Batallion Nr. 2 (Culm) from 22/02/1918 to 04/03/1919. This Wehrpass was issued on 28/08/1937; but Ewald had served on a Grenzwacht-Übung [Border Guard exercise] at Hammerstein from 02/05/1937 to 13/05/1937. He saw some service with 4. Übungskompanie Deutsch Krone 1 from 28/01/1938 to 08/02/1938 before going on active service with 4. Komp. Grenzwacht-Regiment 12 on 25/08/1939. Ewald took part of the invasion of Poland that started on 01/09/1939. He was Killed in Action nine days later on 10/09/1939 at Wylatowo were the Germans met stiff Polish resistance.

Default Re: Werhpass to Ewald Messerschmidt. Polish Casualty 10/09/39. Panzers?

Bravo H.P., splendid translation as usual. Great history with that pass, Richard, very nice.

Jay

Many thanks HPL2008, brilliant info. You're always a great help to me I guessed I had it wrong.
    It's very logical that he was in a border unit with Schneidemühl being only 5km from the then German/Polish border.
    Were the units raised as a preparation for the invasion of Poland? I suppose the units were disbanded in Autumn 1939 as the border no longer existed.

Thanks again for the help,

Cheers,

Richard.

P.S. - Thanks Jay. I was pleased to get such an early casualty Wehrpass, Cheers, Richard.

Very nice WP. I have a soft spot for Poland KIA wehrpasses and have 3 although the earliest one I have is for the 15th Sept. The best book in the English language on the Polish campaign is Case White by William Russ but typically I can't find my copy at the moment so can't mention what it says about any fighting at Wylatowo. If I can locate it I will let you know if it says anything.

Quote by DUJAILAH View Post
    Were the units raised as a preparation for the invasion of Poland? I suppose the units were disbanded in Autumn 1939 as the border no longer existed.
    The Lexikon der Wehrmacht website has this to say about the Grenzwacht-Regimenter (translation by me):

"The establishment of these regiments has its reason in the end of World War I and the Versailles Treaty. Since it was not possible to defend Germany's Eastern Border with the forces permitted under this treaty, the Reichswehr raised secret self-defence formations. These consisted of volunteers, who did their duty in these formations unpaid. Later, these units were consolidated into permanent formations and subordinated to the Wehrkreiskommandos [Military District Commands]. Thus, the Grenzschutz-Abschnitts-Kommandos (Divisionsstäbe) [= Border Guard Sector Commands (Divisional Staffs)] were established, whose duty was to defend a defined border sector in case of an armed conflict with Poland. Subordinated to them were the Grenzwacht-Abschnitte (Regimenter) [= Border Guard Sectors (Regiments)]. The pertinent weapons and uniforms were kept in storage by the Zeugämter [= Arsenals] and were only to be issued in crisis situations. The regiments were called up in late August [1939]."

The above info is from this site...:
    Lexikon der Wehrmacht
    ...which also includes a listing of these regiments linking to their respective data pages. (all German language)

Thanks again HPL2008, brilliant info, cheers, Richard.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Very nice WP. I have a soft spot for Poland KIA wehrpasses and have 3 although the earliest one I have is for the 15th Sept. The best book in the English language on the Polish campaign is Case White by William Russ but typically I can't find my copy at the moment so can't mention what it says about any fighting at Wylatowo. If I can locate it I will let you know if it says anything.
    Thanks hucks216, I was pleased to get the WP as I didn't have a Polish Campaign Casualty. I don't know where I got the Wylatowo info from as I can't find the reference on the net now!! If you do find anything I'd be very interested, Cheers, Richard.

I wouldn't be surprised if the location of Wylatowo is now known by a Polish name so it could be hard to track down. Here is a very good description of the events of 10th September 1939 during the Polish Campaign...

I wonder if the location was near the Bzura River as the Battle Of The Bzura was the largest battle of the Polish Campaign which commenced on the 9th September and lasted for 10 days after which the Germans controlled western Poland.

Hi Hucks216, I've found this ref on the net Wylatowo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Cheers, Richard.
    Last edited by DUJAILAH; 01-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast