Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges

Article about: Hi I was wandering if anyone can tell me if there's are good. Are they genuine issue or are they definitely later copies? Many thanks for looking. I also have a Ukrainian Sea Guard badge. Do

Default Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges

Hi I was wandering if anyone can tell me if therse are good. Are they genuine post war issue or are they definitely later copies?

I also have a Ukrainian Sea Guard badge. Do you think that it is ok and what is it for please? I translated it and I think that it just says Sea Guard.

Thanks for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges   Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges  

Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges   Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges  

Last edited by Bonecollector; 03-29-2021 at 10:25 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges
    P
    Many

The Soviet badge is a late version of the "Badge for Long Distance Voyage" which is a bit of a misnomer because it could be entitled by multiple short voyages adding up to a total depending on the type of vessel. So, it is actually a type of accumulated service badge not related to a specific performance or qualification other than "sea time". It was produced in submarine and surface vessel versions.
    It was first issued around 1961 and the early badges were solid brass with hot enamel. Yours is brass and lacquer/paint.

The Ukranian badge appears to be the post-Soviet version of the same thing for surface vessels.

I am not aware of the Soviet type being faked and I doubt that the Ukranian badges have yet achieved "target" status for the fakers. I suspect if "non-official" Ukranian badges are on the market they will either be identical surplus / manufacturer over-runs or of such poor/incorrect quality as to be very obvious. Yours looks "right" to me for the current manufacturing styles.

But, never say never as we know only too well

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Mark

PS I should say that the Ukranian badge appears to be electroplated aluminium which is cheaper and easier to manufacture than brass although in no way as attractive to us collectors
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-29-2021 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Many thanks for your help and information. These are relatively cheap and easy to find so to me it doesn't make sense to copy them but I don't have a lot of experience in these. Here's another one in aluminium. This one looks like a later type of sub.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges   Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges  

Yep, that one is the post Soviet Russian version.

The blue and white saltire (cross) is the Russian naval ensign.

It does look like the Scottish Saltire because it is in fact the exact same symbol being the Cross of Saint Andrew (patron saint of Scotland) and was adopted by Tsar Peter I.

As an aside The patron saint of England Saint George (and the dragon) also features in Russian symbology (and that of many other nations) and is the emblem of Moscow. Small world eh?

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-29-2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: typ
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you for this information. I have a few other military and civilian Russian badges many in aluminium. This metal keeps its age well and looks presentence but as you say is cheaper and easier to stamp than brass. I'm trying to build a good Russian naval collection and in my research i'm surprised of the number of variations and typed. They were fanatical about badges by the looks of things.

You are welcome and yes I drew a similar conclusion back in the '80s when I acquired my first Soviet badges whilst serving in Berlin. The same is true of all arms of the service but is particularly prevalent amongst naval units. A point to note is that many of these badges were of a commemorative anniversary nature (ships, arms of the service, types of vessel etc) and were only supposed to be worn on uniform during a "relevant" period usually just the anniversary year.The badges you posted though whilst not representative of a skill or qualification were service related and they would continue in wear.

There are fewer service / qualification badges in comparison to the commemorative / anniversary badges. An important distinction to make in a collection I think.

It would be good to see how your collection develops.

Regards

Mark

Here's a few more. One is a brass and the other aluminium. I particularly like the brass one.

Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges   Russian submarine and Ukraine Sea Guard badges  

On the Gentleman's Military Interest Club good answers were already given by a very knowledgable collector.

Long range cruise badge - Russia: Soviet Orders, Medals & Decorations - Gentleman's Military Interest Club

And another. I feel this one is more risky with authenticity than any of the others.

Hi. Agreed but a friend of mine in the Royal Navy has a large collection of long voyage badges that are the same as mine that he was given by a Russian sailor in the eighties. I just wanted other opinions on mine as I don't get responses on gmic very often.

It's always nice to hear different points of view.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast