Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet Visor Questions

Article about: Picked up this wool Soviet visor (I assume navy) and I would like to know more about it (age, rank range, etc.). Cold War is not my forte'. There are only the faintest traces of stamps on th

Default Soviet Visor Questions

Picked up this wool Soviet visor (I assume navy) and I would like to know more about it (age, rank range, etc.). Cold War is not my forte'. There are only the faintest traces of stamps on the triangle and I cannot make anything out.

Thank you in advance.
    Soviet Visor Questions
    Soviet Visor Questions
    Soviet Visor Questions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Visor Questions
    P
    Many

Not so sure it's Soviet. I am not experienced with visors but Soviet visors all have a very different inner side than what is seen here.

That is why I am here! I only have the Hammer & Sickle to go off as my first clue. Some Warsaw Pact nation?

?

Merchant Marine of the USSR (MORFLOT).

Thank you, Boycie.

This is a MORFLOT visor cap dating from most likely the 1980s, These can be easily mistaken for the Soviet Navy and its easy to see why. Interesting thing to note here is that MORFLOT caps and and Soviet navy caps can be found with similar construction and or parts. This is due to the fact that many soviet navy personnel had their caps specially tailored by portside tailors who also did the exact same thing for MORFLOT personnel. The most common attribute of the Soviet Merchant fleet caps you will find on Navy caps is leather visors that are commonly found on MORFLOT and to some extent other Soviet Civilian ministries. The Soviet navy has a long history of altering and or locally tailoring their visor caps to make them more ornate and or catering to ones personal preferences, the practice dates all the way back to The Great patriotic war.