Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Wartime Navy Buckle

Article about: Just picked up this wartime enlisted mans buckle. A nice addition to my Soviet Navy collection Nick

Default Wartime Navy Buckle

Just picked up this wartime enlisted mans buckle.

A nice addition to my Soviet Navy collection

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wartime Navy Buckle   Wartime Navy Buckle  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wartime Navy Buckle
    P
    Many

I always find it hard to see the difference between wartime and postwar. What to look for exactly?

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    I always find it hard to see the difference between wartime and postwar. What to look for exactly?
    I'm sure there a a few features that determine the period however I know that wartime buckles have 45 degree slanted corners and the anchor hooks are longer and more curved than post war.
    Hopefully someone can point out other traits.

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

This is NOT definitive, but generally wartime buckles go in the right hand, post war the left.
    Note, Bulgarian buckles (post war obviously) have LONG anchor hooks and go in the right hand and are often sold as wartime.

Here is the bulgiarian one, note the longer anchor hooks than post war soviet, and that it is right handed....sometimes sold as wartime soviet, but not.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wartime Navy Buckle  

Also, just an FYI of caution, they make replicas of wartime Navcy buckles.....