Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

SS Buckles to collect: The ultimate list

Article about: Years that I did not publish any updates in this particular field of collecting. Years collectors (and leeches) were asking for it. So today you finally got it in your Forum as well. This li

... and that picture showing an easier to see close up of the eagle design made by the above maker was taken by the moderator of the WAF Forum. The buckle used for this close up belongs to him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Buckles to collect: The ultimate list
    P
    Many

NOTE: The above variant is the most common of all SS buckles with rotated swastika. I personally have records and pictures of 15 of them in various conditions in different collections with even one de-nazified in the collection I am selling!

Rotated Swastika Maker 2
    Unmarked Rotated Swastika Maker 2
    That one been the scarcest of the two. To whoever wanting to have a clue about quickly distinguishing the two variants, Maker 1 (above) has a visible rope behind the eagle's head when Maker 2 (below) has none.
    NOTE: I do not and never owned this kind of buckle. So I cannot use my own pictures. I am using instead pictures taken and sent to me by the former owner of this buckle, Marc Verstraete.

NEW FOUND READ IN THE COMMENTS THREAD. CALLED Rotated Swastika Maker 1 Twin

2ND NEW FOUND READ IN THE COMMENTS THREAD. CALLED February 2019 Unmarked

GZM (Made only in Danzig. Probably by R.Reich)
    Early Marking (GZD 7)

Few yars ago, Piotr from Poland was kind to send me evidence that this exact marking had letter G standing for Gauleitung and letter D standing for Danzig. What was standing for the letter Z was invisible. Based on this input, a well known and respected documentalist think that GZD could stand for GZD – Gauleitung, so the Gau-Zeugmeisterei Danzig from the Danzig Gauleitung.

The number 7 meaning is still to discover but it is attached to this exact maker for the manufacture of several of those exact buckles.

I personally know two of those buckles bearing this exact same marking (GZM 7) with one been a ground dug example. But several items, not only SS related, are bearing this GZD logo

The pictures as well as the buckle at the period those pictures were taken belongs to Stéphane in France.

GZM M1/131

From the three (or maybe four), this is the most common variant a collector can find a SS buckle made by this very rare maker. It is now widely assumed GZM stands for "Gauzeugmeisterei" but not yet proven.

Pictures and buckle both belong to Ric, Moderator of the WAF Forum

Ground off GZM marking

We can find SS buckles from this maker with their marking been hidden/removed by different ways. One of them been grinding it off totally like on this mint example (still available for sale from my collection). Luckily for us, this buckle is mint and it is obvious this buckle was preciously marked then the marking was professionally removed. But we can find some worn/ground dug examples were nobody can say for sure if the original marking was removed or simply never applied to the buckle. Those latest could lead to believe some were possibly never marked.

Buckle and pictures from my collection (yet)

Friedrich Keller
    Unmarked F.Keller
    NOTE: Pictures are mine but now this buckle was sold to Ric, WAF Moderator, and is no longer mine

Giesse & Schmidt, Ruhla
    Unmarked G&S

Many years ago I named this buckle "Pointed Wings (we can easily say why)" then a couple years later Ric (WAF moderator) and I we associated by mistake this buckle to maker Paul Meybauer. Many collectors and dealers are still using that false association. But few years later, collector Chad Williams showed in the WAF Forum several HJ and DJ buckles marked with the G&S logo as well as KH40 attesting those buckles were made by indeed G&S. Comparing some characteristics common to those HJ / DJ buckles with the ones found on the previous named pointed wings/P.Meybauer, it became obvious RIc and I did a mistake and those SS buckles were made by Giesse & Schmidt, Ruhla instead.

Pictures and mint buckle are still mine

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast