Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS EM Buckle year of manufacture timeline

Article about: Gents I am going to try and decipher and list what SS buckles were made and in what year and by who. I am going to try and do this with the RZM info that we have been given by Wim and known

Default SS EM Buckle year of manufacture timeline

Gents

I am going to try and decipher and list what SS buckles were made and in what year and by who. I am going to try and do this with the RZM info that we have been given by Wim and known history of the rise of the SS. This is going to be some guess work on the early buckles and I will try and justify each year as the thread progresses. It will also be an on going educational thread as we learn more from possible input from other parties.

I am going to start here in 1932. We know that Himmler took control of the SS from the SA on the 06th Jan 1929. There is no evidence that at that time they started wearing SS buckles. The SS motto "Meine Ehre heißt Treue" does not appear until April 1931. With that I doubt that buckles would have appeared straight away as I believe a design would have to have been made and approved which would have taken some time. From that we have to conclude that a date of 1932 could be the first date for SS buckles as it is mentioned in the RZM setup information thread in which Wim Saris was so kind as to translate extracts from original German period manuscripts.
    "Late 1931: this specifically is an order from December 7, 1931 (“Verordnungsblatt der Reichsleitung der NSDAP”,
    further as “Vbl.RL”. Nr. 14 from December 31, 1931, as well as “Verordnungsblatt der Obersten SA-Führung”, further as
    “Vbl.OSAF”, nr. 6 from January 26, 1932) and related to insignia. Names were mentioned, as well as logo’s (Warenzeichen).
    With all ges. gesch (gesetzlich geschützt) was to be included (for example O&C ges.gesch for the new nickel-silver SS-buckle –
    “Vbl.OSAF”, nr.6 ). The use of this procedure was anyway still mentioned with a November 15, 1932-order and lasted until
    the fall of 1933"
    If we take this as official information it seems that from Jan 1932 to the fall of 1933 this was the standard for SS buckles. Overhoff and Cie is mentioned officially but there is nothing written as to other early nickel buckles being made at this time.

Overhoff & Cie

Nickel Overhoff & Cie full title makers mark near wing
    Nickel Overhoff & Cie full title makers mark away from wing
    Nickel Overhoff & Cie full title erased motto
    Nickel O & C ges gesch
    Nickel O & Cie ges gesch
    Nickel O & Cie ges gesch with capital G
    Nickel O & Cie ges gesch with capital G (square lettering)
    Nickel O & Cie ges gesch with name ground off
    Nickel O & C ges gesch DRGM

This is a start, information could be wrong but from the info currently provided its a starting point

I am going to group the RZM buckles in 1933, if you read the text from Wim we could conclude that Overhoff, M Winter and ST&L had permissions to produce buckles (previously it may have only been Overhoff & Cie

Overhoff & Cie

Nickel RZM 24

Steinhauer & Luck

Nickel RZM 63

Martin Winter

Nickel RZM 57
    Nickel RZM 57 ges Gesch

Berge & Nolte

Nickel RZM 36

(please note there is discussion as to who made the 57 & 63 buckles, for now we will leave them, as information changes we can alter this)

I am going to group other nickel buckles in this year, they could be in 1933 or 1934 but we will place them here for now until we can prove or more information is found
    "With the Hitler-order 4/34 from July 20, 1934 the SS became an independent organization within the structures (eine selbständige
    Organisation im Rahmen der NSDAP). This was announced in the “Vbl.RL”, nr. 77 from early August 1934. At that moment it came
    under the head of regular RZM-structures and so SS items were numbered. When a specific SS-code was arranged for buckles is not known,
    but thought to be much, much later then the introduction of the M-codes. With the 1938 RZM manufacturers list the enlisted SS buckle,
    as well as leader’s buckle (SS-Mannschafts- und Führerschlösser) were still mentioned amongst M4"

Nickel ges gesch Berge & Nolte ibid 1803/45 mm
    Nickel SS buckle by Friedrich Linden, article-number 4674
    Nickel Fat Eagle
    Nickel Fat Eagle 2nd pattern
    Nickel Hammerhead with "U" catch
    Nickel Giesse & Schmidt
    Nickel Rudolf Fischer
    Nickel rotated swazstika
    Nickel Friedrich Keller
    Nickel Haustein & Kirchoff
    Nickel cracked wing unmarked
    Nickel cracked wing Ges Gesch
    Nickel no ears
    Nickel marked ges gesch
    Unmarked with brass catch and prongs

Overhoff & Cie

Nickel RZM 35/36

Overhoff & Cie

RZM 36/36 Nickel

F W Assmann

RZM 155/36

Richard Seiper

822/37 RS&S (markings near catch)
    822/37 RS&S

Overhoff & Cie

RZM 36/37 (marking under prong sleeve)

Overhoff & Cie

RZM 36/38 aluminium

Richard Seiper

822/38 RS&S (big lettering)
    822/38 RS&S (small lettering)
    822/38 RS&S (small lettering no rope at catch)

Overhoff & Cie

Aluminium RZM 36/39

F W Assmann

Aluminium 155/39

Overhoff & Cie

Aluminium 36/40 single ring around SS
    Aluminium 36/40 double ring around SS

F W Assmann

Aluminium 155/40
    Steel 155/40 mark near catch
    Steel 155/40 mark under prong bar
    steel 155/40 crank catch

Robert Dold

Steel RODO green
    Steel RODO blue rope under beak
    Guess work at moment with RODO, steel so anytime after 1940

Overhoff & Cie

Steel 36/42 variation
    Steel 36/42 variation
    Steel 36/42 variation

Richard Seiper

Zinc 822/42
    Zinc unmarked

JFS

Steel marked JFS
    Steel unmarked
    I have placed JFS here as looking around the first JFS marked buckles with tabs are all marked 1942

Overhoff & Cie

Steel 36/43

F W Asmann

Steel 155/43 marking under roller bar
    Steel 155/43

Overhoff & Cie

Steel RZM 36/44
    Steel silver Overhoff (no proof but unmarked and a known late war buckle, if they stopped marking them presuming late on in the war
    Last edited by Ben Evans; 09-08-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS EM Buckle year of manufacture timeline
    P
    Many

Overhoff & Cie

RZM 35/36 Nickel

Assmann

155/36 Nickel

Quote by ivanjoaquin View Post

Overhoff & Cie

RZM 35/36 Nickel

Assmann

155/36 Nickel
    I am getting there Ivan, still lots to write my friend
    Ben

Sorry Ben

Quote by ivanjoaquin View Post
    Sorry Ben
    Hey no probs mate, still got shit loads to write.. I shall also be picking your brains as where to place the unknowns:

Cracked wing variations, Haunstein & Kichhoff, hammer head, fat eagle etc so get your thinking head on
    Ben

Ivan/Markus have a read and need opinion please especially on the early nickel ones (some still not on there BTW)
    Ben

?

Go Ben!

I am considering moving nickel buckles marked ges gesch to the 1932 year, any thoughts? All depends on who was making buckles at that time, Overhoff is mentioned but it does not mean they were the only producers?
    Ben

Blue RODO, could we consider this a late war buckle with the "einsfarbe" and placer that in the 1942 year? The blue RODO buckles were considered late war. Offenburg being south in country could have been bombed less than the steel heart of the Ruhr valley, Ludenscheid?
    Ben

New info from Wim Saris, I did not know Linden did an SS buckle

"article-number 4674 SS buckle by Friedrich Linden (about 1934). No further description;
    ibid 1803/45 mm ges.gesch by Berg & Nolte (about 1934/1935).
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast