Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Authentication of SS Dagger- Bertram

Article about: Found while going through late relatives treasures. I don't know the history how it was obtained but it has likely been sitting, untouched for at least 50 years. Any comments or tell-tale si

Default Authentication of SS Dagger- Bertram

Found while going through late relatives treasures. I don't know the history how it was obtained but it has likely been sitting, untouched for at least 50 years.
    Any comments or tell-tale signs regarding its authenticity and value are greatly appreciated. I've done some research and I can see that Bertram made daggers are pretty rare.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions of tell-tale signs of fakes/authentic daggers.

Authentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- BertramAuthentication of SS Dagger- Bertram

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Authentication of SS Dagger- Bertram
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome Sturgis to the forum.

My understanding of these is somewhat mid level so best wait for others such as our LarryC who can give a definite answer, but I think you have a winner here. Lovely fit, great blade, nice hanger and nice black motto. Nut looks untouched as well. As you say, it's been sitting untouched.

But before you get your hopes up. Please wait for others. I'm not perfect
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks like a very fine dagger at first sight although most Bertrams I saw did all had another type of SS button used. But this will actually means nothing.
    What me concerns a bit more is the placing of the logo.
    It looks totally out of center. Off course this could have occured by the guy who placed the logo's, placing it not in the correct position. For sure it is not a laser etching and that alone is already a positive fact.
    I sure like the dagger as it consist all of original parts for sure. Bertram was actually a firm that assembled these dagger and not made every part by themself.
    I'm curious what the others have to say.

I'd be happy to provide more pictures from other angles, if requested as well. Thank you, Krisse and MAP for your input so far.
    I also found a bayonet in the treasure trove but I can't seem to get the scabbard off the blade to identify it. Would I be a fool to spray something like WD-40 down it to see if it will loosen?

Default better picture of logo

Here's a better picture. It's difficult to photograph without getting reflections in the blade.

?

Authentication of SS Dagger- BertramNice and better picture. As you can see the logo is a bit of center to the right but you have found a very nice and not so common maker dagger. You may praise yourself very lucky. Give me a yell if you want to part of it. :-)
    Here's mine to compare.

My Chickens dagger. Finally.99

Also a point of interest. The dagger is actually placed wrong in the scabbard. As you can see it is the same as with my dagger. Some SS men did this to use the ring to place the end of the strap of the vertical hanger in it...
    Not the case with yours. Normally the strap of the hanger goes true the ring. Probably it was the case with yours aswell but someone took the hanger off and replaced it in the wrong way. Doesn't harm if you correct it in the right way.

I see in the 4th picture that the hanger is opened.
    So you can see if the hanger is marked on the inside.
    If so, that's always a nice bonus. You can also place the dagger in its correct position in the scabbard aswell as the hanger.

See attached picture above:

?

Quote by Sturgis View Post
    I'd be happy to provide more pictures from other angles, if requested as well. Thank you, Krisse and MAP for your input so far.
    I also found a bayonet in the treasure trove but I can't seem to get the scabbard off the blade to identify it. Would I be a fool to spray something like WD-40 down it to see if it will loosen?
    On a bajonet I think it can do no harm. Just clean it again after it came loose.

Thank you! I will try that tomorrow morning. I'm vey hesitant to do any cleaning as far as the dagger goes so I have only used a dry qtip to remove slight dust. I am interested in selling it. Please message me if interested?

?

Pm sent

?

Quote by Sturgis View Post
    Here's a better picture. It's difficult to photograph without getting reflections in the blade.
    Best to take pictures outside on a not to sunny day and without the use of a flash.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast