Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Boker SS Dagger

Article about: Here I have a Boker SS Dagger I was given by my Great Grandad. I’ve done much digging on the forum and found out lots of different things, I’d be interested to know what people think abo

?

Default Boker SS Dagger

Here I have a Boker SS Dagger I was given by my Great Grandad.

I’ve done much digging on the forum and found out lots of different things, I’d be interested to know what people think about it including the condition. (Let me know if you would like further photos).

I am unsure how to look after it… it has been sat in a back room for as long as I can remember. I distinctly remember seeing it as a child. Now I have been given it and would like to look after it as well as possible.

I am unsure if polishing it is a terrible idea and akin to polishing an old Omega or Rolex watch, but I don’t want it to rust and get ruined if I can help it!

Enough rambling, here at the photos:

Boker SS Dagger
    Boker SS Dagger
    Boker SS Dagger
    Boker SS Dagger
    Boker SS Dagger
    Boker SS Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Boker SS Dagger
    P
    Many

?

Hello.
    The blade of the dagger appears to have been polished many times in the past. If you polish it further, you risk erasing the markings and motto. The aging of the blade, grip and crossguards does not match.
    After looking at other examples on the forum you should have formed your own opinion. You can share it. You can upload a picture of the pommel screw so we can see if the dagger has signs of disassembly. Do not disassemble because grip is cracked. Wait for the opinions of more experienced forum members. There are experts on these daggers here who will give an accurate opinion about this dagger.
    Regards Georgi.

?

What angle is good for the screw?

I wasn’t aware of any polishing. It does look faded

The opinion I formed was related to it being genuine or not, I believe it is. If I took the screw off are you saying the wood might fall apart? By does not match do you believe it is not the same original parts?

Thanks for the reply

Hello Hostis and welcome to the forum.

This dagger as it has all the Boker details and traits that comes from this producer.
    The fit is very tight and the 2nd type crossguards are correct that matches the Type 2 ( 2nd variant logo used that has a higher point on the top of the logo ) ..including the runes button lighting bolts that touches the outer rim of the button.

The blade is in bad shape and has great excess of age grey ..water or moisture damage.
    The blade is the main value of any dagger and although the dagger itself looks good...the blade is poor in condition.

Is there a scabbard ?
    Also as Georgi stated...a photo of the top side looking down at the tang nut ..just curious if this is unmessed with.
    In decent to near mint condition these early produced Boker daggers will be in the $6K range.

Your dagger falls well below that and without a scabbard and in its current condition....it is unsellable.
    Hang on to it though as it came from your grandfather and it is a part of that Heinous time period of the 1930s.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

No scabbard, or not that I’m aware of, I will enquire as I know there is a hoard of items stored away in a family members house.

Here are the photos:

Boker SS Dagger
    Boker SS Dagger

Thanks for the info, I’m wondering what you would do with it? I’d like to preserve it and prevent the condition from deteriorating further. I saw some people say waxing it etc. I was thinking of a non abrasive clean too. I don’t think I’d go as far as fixing the chipped parts of the wood or anything.

?

Also yes, don’t worry. It’s not an attempt to flog it. Purely what is best to do from a preservation or perhaps restoration standpoint, sprinkled with curiosity about its features. Knowing more about something makes it so much more special.

Leave the grip and crossguards untouched ...they have a nice patina to it and as far as the blade ...although its to far gone to restore it as you will remove any original history that is still attached to it....I can only suggest simi chrome that would lift off any topical dirt on the blade.

Other than that ...leave everything else alone.
    Thankyou for the extra photo...your dagger appears never to have been opened.
    There are many threads here on Boker SS daggers you would be able to peruse through this SS dagger sub forum.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Yep I’m being very nosey in those threads right now!

I’ve just thought further about the blade condition, he lived on the east coast of England on the waterfront. Perhaps ~80 years of sea air on the blade is why…

I’d assume I should NOT open it in the case of the tang nut then?

No need to open it ....leave be...nothing to see and its best it leave it undisturbed.
    Put it in a small display box ..get yourself an Iron cross and a party badge and you have an instant collection

Regards Larry

I would agree with Larry, the dagger shows parts consistent with the 2nd Böker logo. A shame the blade is as it is and there is no scabbatd but that’s how it goes sometimes. I would also agree not to dismantle the dagger as you may further damage the fragile grip.

Your assessment of polishing the blade being a bad idea is quite right, akin to polishing the case on a vintage wristwatch. Something you wouldn’t want to do. The piece has history for your family and that in itself is very cool.